Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall RRAS win2003 64bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mi32

mi32

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

I have googled this and gotten 10k answer....so i came here where i seem to get a variety of good answers and recently I have found to get the right answer. So here it goes....

Win 2003k 64bit server has ras on it I am not using the ras anymore but it seems to be tied to the internet settings...i have 30 users...and some have problems getting onto the internet I usually restart the ras but lately i am thinking i will do away with it all to gether but cant...... I didnt install it and dont know how to unbind it from the internet settings ??? How do i uninstall ras and keep my users on the network and on the internet....

Thanks in advance

Here and Ipconfig from the server with some things i blocked for security reasons

Here is the IP config all again from the server

C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : cd...
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : C.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : C.local

Ethernet adapter Lan .25:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-18-60-2A-2A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.20
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.20
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.200

Ethernet adapter Wan .2 :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-18-60-2A-52
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.20
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.200

Please help....

Thanks in advance
eHUNT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

It sounds as though RRAS may be running as a gateway/NAT for the network. If you check the ip settings of a workstation, does it's gateway address match the ip of the server?

#3 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Dirtdog 900 thanks for your response

Here is and Ipconfig from a users station can you elaborater on what you mean by It sounds as though RRAS may be running as a gateway/NAT for the network. If you check the ip settings of a workstation, does it's gateway address match the ip of the server?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Rd-2140
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : tred-jmr.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :tred-jmr.local
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/1000 MT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-27-10-76
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.25
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.20
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.20
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.25.20
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:30:14 A
M
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:30:14 PM

C:\WINDOWS>

Any help on this would be great. thanks

#4 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Sure, from the ipconfig you ran above, you can see the default gateway (this gives you internet access) has an ip address of 192.168.25.20, my guess would be that is also the ip address of the server. You can check that by also running an ipconfig on the server and checking the ip address that gets listed.

If that's the case, then the server is using RRAS to give your workstations internet access. Obviously when you try and remove this you are losing internet on the workstations. You can remove RRAS but you are going to need a new route for your workstations to gain internet access again.

When you run an ipconfig on the server, what does it report it's default gateway as? You may find you can give that ip address to the workstations instead (using dhcp). But that all depends on how you get internet access on the server to begin with and how your network is configured in general. If you can find out the above questions I'll try and help you a bit more.

#5 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

dirtdog900,
thanks so much for your time and help...yes i could use some more advice on how to fix this

As for your post
Sure, from the ipconfig you ran above, you can see the default gateway (this gives you internet access) has an ip address of 192.168.25.20, my guess would be that is also the ip address of the server. Yes It if you look at the original post that is the ipconfig from the server

You can check that by also running an ipconfig on the server and checking the ip address that gets listed. In original post

If that's the case, then the server is using RRAS to give your workstations internet access. How do i change this with this configuration?

Obviously when you try and remove this you are losing internet on the workstations. You can remove RRAS but you are going to need a new route for your workstations to gain internet access again. Right.....

When you run an ipconfig on the server, what does it report it's default gateway as? Default Gateway . : 192.168.25.20 on the one nic .25 subnet

and on the .2 subnet nic card here is the gateway....Default Gateway . . : 192.168.2.1

You may find you can give that ip address to the workstations instead (using dhcp).Dhcp is installed

But that all depends on how you get internet access on the server to begin with and how your network is configured in general. Internet access configurations to the linksys router are IP=65.127.18.19x gateway=65.127.18.19x dns=69.6.190.10 and 11

If you can find out the above questions I'll try and help you a bit more.

Here is my info I really hope you can help..thanks again
ehunt

#6 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Do you know what device is using 192.168.2.1? Cable modem/router/firewall etc?

If you still want to remove RRAS then we need to find an alternative to route your internet traffic from the workstations. This might be possible depending on the above question but you may find you need to use another piece of hardware/software to give you internet access again. Maybe you could run a proxy on the server? Do you want to stop using the server or just RRAS on the server? Do you also have any users that VPN into the network from outside (home users etc)?

#7 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

Dirtdog thanks again

Do you know what device is using 192.168.2.1? Cable modem/router/firewall etc? its a dsl line going into a linksys wrt54g router

If you still want to remove RRAS then we need to find an alternative to route your internet traffic from the workstations. This might be possible depending on the above question but you may find you need to use another piece of hardware/software to give you internet access again. Maybe you could run a proxy on the server? Do you want to stop using the server or just RRAS on the server? Do you also have any users that VPN into the network from outside (home users etc)?
I want to remove RRAS off the server....disable kill....get rid of...etc...no vpn nothing...

Thanks again for your time and help

PS I just realize you 6hours ahead of me .....so i will check back tommorrow after noon

Edited by mi32, 23 August 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#8 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

I think your best option is to try and reconfigure the Linksys router, move it to a spare ip address on your lan (192.168.25.xxx) from it's current 192.168.2.1 config. You can then assign the ip of the linksys box to your workstations which should give you internet access without the need for RRAS. I don't know if your comfortable with re-configuring the router but it's probably your easiest option?

You would need to make sure DHCP is off on the linksys and modify DHCP on your server to issue the new gateway ip (which would be the ip of the linksys router) and just make sure it's cabled into your hub/switch.

I don't know your level of experience with networking, but if your not too sure on the above you might end up losing access completely, just something to be aware of :-)

#9 mi32

mi32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Dirtdog thanks again for you help. I need some clarification sir

I think your best option is to try and reconfigure the Linksys router, move it to a spare ip address on your lan (192.168.25.xxx)
from it's current 192.168.2.1 config. How do I do this ?

You can then assign the ip of the linksys box to your workstations which should give you internet access without the need for RRAS. Would I do this statically on each workstation? Or how do you mean????

I don't know if your comfortable with re-configuring the router but it's probably your easiest option? I am so so if you could be a little more detailed...its a linksys router wrt54g

You would need to make sure DHCP is off on the linksys and modify DHCP on your server to issue the new gateway ip (which would be the ip of the linksys router) and just make sure it's cabled into your hub/switch.
Nic one .25 goes to the router then cable from router to switch.... .2 nic in server has cable going to switch..So please help with more detail if you can...thanks again for your time and help

ehunt

#10 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

Usually you should be able to access the router config through a web browser, if you type in the 192.168.2.1 address in a web browser. Probably best to do that on your server I think.

You can assign the new gateway IP through DHCP on your server. Or if the workstations are static, then change them individually. Any other devices on the network may need changing, printers etc.

If you get the config done on the router then you would simply plug the lan side into your network switch.

It's a little involved to get across all the steps in writing but that's pretty much the basics. If your not sure then I would suggest some onsite help, you don't want to be stuck without web access!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users