Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual boot issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ssnyder77

ssnyder77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hello,

I recently built this system:

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Intel Core I7 960
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

After assembly the power button seemed to be acting up because the computer would start, then shut off immediately, but then it would boot up by its self and work fine. I thought it was a short so I started looking around and didn't notice anything. I unhooked most of the components to try to isolate one but can't. I can do restarts all day long and have no issues. It only happens when I use the power button to boot up. I researched the computer case and found it to have issues with the power button and replaced it with the Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. Turns out it wasn't the case because I am having the same problem. Next I though PSU could be the issue so I swapped with a known good PSU and I still have the same problem. This issue seems different than most boot issues I have researched because the computer does boot up, it just fails on the first try consistently. I don't know what else to look at. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

I had this same issue with a laptop a long time ago, it was the MOBO on it. It was a laptop, so I knew the A/C adapter was good, HDD and everything passed diagnostics.. one day it wouldn't turn on at all and that confirmed it was the MOBO.

#3 ssnyder77

ssnyder77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

I found a fix to my problem. I had to change settings for my memory in the BIOS, but I am not entirely sure why because the memory was listed as compatible. It should have worked with default settings in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users