Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need opinions about temperature issues for HP Dv1125nr

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 randamu yu-za

randamu yu-za

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

I own an HP dv1125nr. Not exactly a model known for being cold (it's well known for overheating).
I have a service plan with Best Buy and this actually was a replacement model to my last laptop which was a complete lemon, but I repurchased the plan for this one because it seems any laptop I own has some kind of issue...

The temps I'm getting most of the time are low-mid 80s on idle, low 90s on charger. Maybe 10-15 degrees less on each if I'm off charger. The problem is I can't stay off charger, because I'm always doing something very CPU intensive. Usually I am painting in Photoshop or using a lot of Firefox with huge plugins loaded for translation and so on. And I need the screen brightness to see what I am painting, so naturally the battery doesn't last very long and I figured its probably not good to drain it that fast anyway.

I've already taken this in for overheating issues which also killed the battery that came with it. And because the laptop still generates so much heat, it is already starting to kill the one I had replaced it with. Pretty much I've come to the conclusion this laptop has an overheating problem, but I am worried I will have a hard time convincing them of that since they claim to have already repaired it and I need to come to some conclusion about what the real problem is.

The operating temp of the processor is 100C, but the temperatures are just too hot I think and is dropping the life of my machine. I'm not sure, I also may be having instability issues with it, but it could just be Windows 7 so it's hard to confirm that. Making sure it stays cool is a pain in the ass too, as I am always have to watch them, as well as considering whether I put it in a hot room. The plastic and laptop itself becomes hot which is annoying (some people might find this a power boost tho). If you look at the laptop, the cooling on it isn't very well designed either and MUST be on a completely flat service at all times (which should be the norm anyway) because the vent is beveled downwards and in from the back and gets blocked by virtually everything you sit it on... and it's tiny. I don't care so much the fan is loud. It's the fact the computer is running so hot that it is hot to the touch to a degree, and using it does make me hands sweat (especially in a non-A/C environment)

So the major question is, what is normal and what isn't? What should I be telling them when I take this computer in? For the first repair, they did replace the heat sink and I believe they may have put more goo, the paperwork doesn't say anything really... and I know the fan may have been replaced as well because it was much louder when I got it back with a different pitch. I'm not sure if they will believe the problem still exists... Altogether, the major issue seems to be there as since there is so much heat on the battery, it's killing my battery and ultimately causing it to create a lot more heat as well only making the problem worse when I am charger. The same as the original battery when it was dying. The last battery got to the point of overheating and shutting off on the charger.

Hardware

Product Name dv5-1125nr
Product Number FR977UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.10 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 4096 MB
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M
Video Memory Up to 1918 MB
Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.4” diagonal WXGA High-Definition Brightview Infinity Display (1280 x 800)

Edited by randamu yu-za, 18 August 2011 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

That is way to hot for idle. i would strongly recommended you to return that HP laptop if possible. HP/Compaq has had problems with overheating in there laptops which is why i usually don't suggest to buy a HP/Compaq.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users