Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1420 battery won't charge, what to replace?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

My girlfriend's laptop will no longer charge, and the cable has to be attached at a specific angle or it won't recognize that it's being charged. She went to get it repaired, and they wanted $85 to send it away for a diagnosis, and then up to $200 to do the actual work. I haven't done PC repair that often in years, but I'm certified, so I figured I'd give if a swing. If the battery and the port for the charger are on the same piece, it seems like an easy fix. If not, the battery definitely needs replaced, I assume, if it won't take a charge (the cable now basically acting as a power cable, but not charging the battery), but maybe also the charger piece might need replaced? I haven't taken it apart yet to see how it operates, figured I'd post here first. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Please clarify what you mean "cable has to be attached at a specific angle or it won't recognize that it's being charged"

Usually on laptops the AC adapter when plugged in, will indicate a light on the laptop telling you AC power is applied.

I assume this AC light must be on otherwise the Laptop would probably not power on - since the battery may be dead.
When you bend the AC adapter cord does the AC power indicator light on the laptop go out ?

Are you saying the laptop powers up, and you are looking at a battery utility in the operating system that indicates the battery is not charging ?

#3 mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

The issues are two-fold.

The computer only gets power when the charger is plugged in a certain way; it has to be jiggled and fussed with to have the adapter making contact at a certain angle in order for the indication light to light and the computer to get power.

The battery also doesn't charge either way. It will take power from the wall, as in it will run if plugged in, but it doesn't charge the battery, just keep it running when plugged in.

If the battery and the connector piece are on the same piece of hardware, then this seems like a simple enough fix: replace the battery. If not, it might be more complex.

#4 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

If the battery is old ( 2-3 years ) a new one may NOT fix you problem completely.

It appears that model may suffer from a bad connector that could be fixed without parts.

Wiggle the connector with the AC adapter removed to see if it appears loose in the laptop.
If at all loose - you may be able to "tighten" if screws, or re-solder worst case.

Here are some references:

dell Inspiron 1420 manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1420/en/index.htm

descibes a similar problem with a 6400 laptop
http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/dell-laptop-battery-plugged-in-not-charging/67435.html

[ scroll down towards the bottom of the post to see this text ]
"The circuit board that receives the charging jack is seperate to the mother board on most Dells. It is a push together connection which relies on the integrity of the screws and their tightness to maintain a connection. With use or rough handling this connection may falter and need to be remade.".....

Hope that helps.

#5 mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

If the battery is old ( 2-3 years ) a new one may NOT fix you problem completely.

It appears that model may suffer from a bad connector that could be fixed without parts.

Wiggle the connector with the AC adapter removed to see if it appears loose in the laptop.
If at all loose - you may be able to "tighten" if screws, or re-solder worst case.

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/dell-laptop-battery-plugged-in-not-charging/67435.html

"The circuit board that receives the charging jack is seperate to the mother board on most Dells. It is a push together connection which relies on the integrity of the screws and their tightness to maintain a connection. With use or rough handling this connection may falter and need to be remade.".....

Hope that helps.

Thank you for that info. If the connector is fixed, would the battery still need replaced? I assume, since it doesn't charge, I doubt that could be blamed on the port?

#6 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

This is from Dells site:

"All rechargeable batteries wear out with time and usage. As time and cumulative use increase, the performance will degrade. For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months. For a power user, reduction in run time generally may be experienced prior to 18 months. We recommend buying a new Dell laptop battery when the run time does not meet your needs."

If you fix the connector, the battery should show charging - but it may only last a few mintues if you pull the AC adapter. If your laptop battery is 3yrs or more - the battery probably is bad.

Good Luck!

#7 eBatts

eBatts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hope that helps.

Thank you for that info. If the connector is fixed, would the battery still need replaced? I assume, since it doesn't charge, I doubt that could be blamed on the port?

I would check the connector on the laptop to see if it is intermittent. There are 2-3 soldering points on the laptop power input plug to the motherboard. If the powercord has been abused while plugged in, the pins internally and the soldering points can break / disconnect. A repair / re-soldering the points / or replacing the motherboard input power plug would need to be done.

If it's not the plug, then it is the AC adapter / AC adapter plug. They will fail too, but they can be replaced with an OEM Dell laptop charger or an aftermarket Dell laptop battery charger.

I doubt it is your laptop battery, unless the laptop battery won't charge at all. You can verify the laptop battery condition in Windows under the Power settings in the Windows Control Panel.

Good Luck!

#8 Jackson Deli

Jackson Deli

• Banned Spammer
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

You must use an AC adapter made for use for the AC voltage where you plug it in. If the adapter works without the battery, you've got a bad battery or Check the Battery and Connections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users