Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infections Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Polop

Polop

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hello everyone ,

Here I am going to talk about your PC's total clean factor.
I wonder if you can tell at one moment if your computer is totally free of malware ?

Basically , a basic computer line of defense is built with Antivirus/Antispyware/Firewall.
(Mine : Avira Free/MBAM/Windows' Firewall)

However , there is a lot of advanced threats on the internet such as Rootkits or other stealth-type malwares.

Then , as much as I know , Antiviruses are effective against viruses , like Antispywares which are effective against spywares.

My question is : Can you say that your PC can be safe , guaranteed malware free , only using those 3 basic protection tools ? (i.e Avira Free/MBAM/Windows' Firewall)?

In my opinion , we should usually run multiple scans (keep 1 real-time scanner + some on demand scanners).
You know , I've been said that solution is too much !

So , I don't really know how to do a full and deep malware search on my computer with only one or two tools !
Moreover , you should know that we call spyware as it because they hide in the system , which makes them harder to suspect because they don't induce symptoms like adwares.

It is why I can't exclude the fact that the computer can run some malware without knowing it despite the presence of a few decent tools in the computer ! (cause no symptoms will appear , of course !).

What are your opinions ? What do you think about it ?

Thanks for reading , hope you will get the point , I'm getting real sleepy here , Good night ! :lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

My question is : Can you say that your PC can be safe , guaranteed malware free , only using those 3 basic protection tools ?

Not without using common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits which are essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice these principles and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. This includes educating yourself as to the most common ways malware is contracted and spread as well as prevention.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users