Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Output Device and Optical Drive have disappeared from my system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrsampson

jrsampson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

I have a Compaq Presario F700 Notebook w/
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.00GHz
1.87 GB RAM
Vista Home Premium SP-1
32 bit operating system

It is about 2 1/2 years old

The optical drive disappeared from my system (Device Manager) some time ago. Recently, I began experiencing intermittent problems with my audio output device cutting out spontaneously while browsing the web the Laptop. On other occasions, the NO Audio Output Device would load at startup. Now it seems it is gone for good.

I did get hit w/ a very nasty malware infection several weeks ago. I finally undid most of the damage caused by that but the hardware issues keep getting worse.

I did a complete system restore of the OS, back to its original condition, thinking that might bring back the optical drive and the audio output device. That did not work. So now I'm wondering if the hardware has just failed and should be replaced or is it time to get a new laptop. Where is the best place to spend my money? Repair or replace? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Do you have the Windows Vista installation disk?

This could also be an OEM repair disk supplied by Compaq computers.

There is a possibility your drivers were corrupted or removed during the cleaning process of the Malware, this often happens because the malware can infect those drivers and if they are flagged they will be removed from the infected system.

System restore can only be effective if you roll your system back before the actual date of the infection, because your restore files can often contain the infected files.

I hate to say this, but in a lot of cases, a clean system is not always clean, it sometimes takes a complete reformat and clean operating system install to render a system clean of all possible signs of an infection.

System files can become corrupted and unstable once they have been infected, the cleaning process removes infected portions of the files leaving the remainder of them unusable by the operating system.

If you have a copy of Windows Vista with the same service pack on it, it is possible to install Vista over Vista without losing your entire hard drive contents, it will simply replace all of Windows Vista's files with original uncorrupted virus free files from the system disk.

This can also be done if you have an OEM disk, you can legally use someone else's Vista disk to do the repair as long as their disk has the same service pack as yours and you hold a legal license for your OEM version.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users