Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp boots black screen, flashing underscore.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sgokuma

Sgokuma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hello Everyone,

My computer has a problem and when I turn it on, it loads to a black screen and then goes to a flashing underscore. I have tried using the F keys to boot in safe mode, but not even that works. The only thing it gives me is "Select from boot drives" and gives me three options. Floppy, Disc and HD. But still nothing works. Same flashing underscore.

System I have is: Win XP Pro, SP3, 32 Bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Sgokuma

Sgokuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

I had installed a program towards the afternoon, and everything was fine and then before I went to sleep I did a malwarebytes scan and when it was done it came up with a trojan (dont remember clearly but I remember seeing a bunch of numbers when MB deleted it) had been found so I cleaned and restarted the computer and thats when it happened. I also tried to do a win xp boot cd that I got from an rc image and when I go to recovery it prompts me for an admin password and I tried my old password and that doesnt work and I also tried with no password and that does not work either. It says 3 attempts have been made, press enter to restart the computer. I hope this helps.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

If you'd mentioned the trojan in the first post it would have been helpful. I suggest you post in the malware section of this site.

#5 Sgokuma

Sgokuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Sorry about that Allan and Ill go ahead and do that. If I could I would but I cant even log into my computer, the boot logo does not come up... thanks for the quick reply. All it does it go into a black screen and then I see a flashing underscore, and thats all it does.

Something similar to this topic I found.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic377782.html

Edited by Sgokuma, 18 August 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#6 Sgokuma

Sgokuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hello Everyone,

My computer has a problem and when I turn it on, it loads to a black screen and then goes to a flashing underscore. I have tried using the F keys to boot in safe mode, but not even that works. The only thing it gives me is "Select from boot drives" and gives me three options. Floppy, Disc and HD. But still nothing works. Same flashing underscore.

I had installed a program towards the afternoon, and everything was fine and then before I went to sleep I did a malwarebytes scan and when it was done it came up with a trojan (dont remember clearly but I remember seeing a bunch of numbers when MB deleted it) had been found so I cleaned and restarted the computer and thats when it happened. I also tried to do a win xp boot cd that I got from an rc image and when I go to recovery it prompts me for an admin password and I tried my old password and that doesnt work and I also tried with no password and that does not work either. It says 3 attempts have been made, press enter to restart the computer. I hope this helps.

System I have is: Win XP Pro, SP3, 32 Bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hello,

Your topic has been reported to those who specialize in unbootable computers caused my malware. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

Hello, to avoid confusion I have merged your topics.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 Sgokuma

Sgokuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

And thank you OB.

Elise025, I have downloaded what you requested and burned the image to a cd. I have inserted the burnt disc and usb to the sick computer and I select to boot from disc. The xPUD comes and I chose English for the language and then it loads by itself. This is what I see on the screen:

Fatal Server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.org Foundation support at http:wiki.x.org for help. Please also check the log file at "var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
[ 6.161943] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cashe: write through
[ 6.163918] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cashe: write through
[ 6.170191] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cashe: write through
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error.
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "(none):0" in "remove" command
sh:no job control in this shell
sh-4.0# _ (flashing underscore)

Thanks for all your help.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Can you try to boot from it once again? If you get the same error, most likely you have a video card or related component that is not supported by xPUD. In that case create a Ubuntu Live CD.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users