Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Programs - compression?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hey-o, bleepsters.

I've never used any imaging program except the built-in backup to Windows 7. I only have about 40GB of stuff total on my internal drive. My external drive to which I back up is 80GB, and sometimes I run out of space and the backup doesn't complete. (There is nothing else on the external drive.) I know about deleting older data and images, which I sometimes do.

Does backup software such as Macrium, Acronis, Paragon, Todo, compress the backed-up data and image, thus requiring less space on my external drive? I need to save as much money as I can and keep on using my 80GB external to back up my mere 40GB of stuff on my computer.

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Acronis True Image offers several levels of compression. My suggestion, however, would be to get a larger external (or a second internal) drive.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the fast reply! I should get a bigger drive to back up to, but I'm hoping to save money, even if say $34.95 for a much bigger drive "isn't that much" in the big picture. Sometimes it feels like quite a lot on this end, but we'll see how all that goes. Thanks for the Acronis info.

That leads me to another question, which I know is more a hardware forum topic, but I promise it'll only be this one question -- can I back up to my other (much larger) drive which already has an old clone (which I do want to keep) of my current drive on it, if I make a new partition for the future backup?

Edited by floridaze, 18 August 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if you can have multiple images backed up to one drive? If that's the question the answer is absolutely yes. I keep 3 or 4 images of each of my partitions on my backup drive just in case one of them is somehow corrupt.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm sorry. Let me rephrase -- I cloned my current hard drive, right after I installed Win7, to another hard drive which I have laid up for safekeeping. Not backed, but cloned it sector by sector. If I resized that partition (the clone) on the second drive and created a new partition for the remainder of that drive, could I put a backup image on my new partition? Or would that affect the cloned Win7 partition and keep it from booting or anything?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do what you're suggesting. But keep in mind the image is just a file - there's no reason to create a new partition. Just create a folder on the cloned system and copy the file there. Or create a new partition if you like - either is fine.

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Ah! I didn't realize that it would be nothing more than a file. Thanks so much for all the help!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

A very large file, but a file none the less. You'll probably want to connect that drive and create the image directly on that drive rather than copy and move it after it's created.

Edited by Allan, 18 August 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Gotcha. Knowing that helps me out a lot. Have a great day!

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

You're welcome. Please note I added an edit to my last post while you were posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users