Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Junk Files from hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DrMaat

DrMaat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Help. Tried 3 times using Allume to delete obsolete and junk files stored on C drive--taking much space on laptop. These are temporray files from applications and IE. Help
I have IE 8, 2GB RAM
Windows XP Pro
Also Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

What are the files? Where are the files? How do you know they are obsolete & junk?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Allume, does not come up with a google search as a software application for system maintenance as you describe. Can you please verify the application name?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 DrMaat

DrMaat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

What are the files? Where are the files? How do you know they are obsolete & junk?

Allume Boost XP finds obsolete and junk files on Hard drive. Then I tell it what to delete. Files are on C drive in Documemnts and Settings.
I have been deleting junk files from cache and Documents and Settings(Temp and all files with .tmp suffix) for years. Used Allume Booost XP in the past. Software purchased from WorldStart a few years ago. It is generaly quite efficient.

If necessary, I wil just have to delete one by one--which takes longer; is not efficient
Thanks

#5 DrMaat

DrMaat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

Allume, does not come up with a google search as a software application for system maintenance as you describe. Can you please verify the application name?

Allume Boost XP is a Smith Micro program (part of Stuffit)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

So you are saying these are files in your temp folder? If so, you don't need a utility - just go into the folder and delete them. I still don't understand what SPECIFIC files we are talking about. And you said there were also files in "cache" - WHAT cache?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

You could use TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer to delete the temp files.

OldTimer is a member of the Malware Response Team here at BC so the program is safe to use.

Read more/download from http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

#8 DrMaat

DrMaat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I finaly found out the problem. Allume considers Norton security suite files as junk fiels--they are not. I had to do several passes, but finally got the real junk files off. Allume got what Norton and IE Options missed.

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Why use an application when a simple batch script will empty your temp folders?

rmdir/s/q %windir%\Temp
MKDIR %windir%\Temp
rmdir/s/q %TEMP%
MKDIR %TEMP%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users