Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Slider Won't Stay UP, Touchpad Settings Won't STAY

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mscherw

mscherw

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi all..

Before I pull out every last strand of hair... someone smarter than me, please come forward.

Thanks to the good advice here and the scan results, it seems that my problems may not be malware-related (right now).

The issues that I have been having are a little strange.. and seem to be connected to sound and touchpad now.

Volume settings won't stay in "up" position and I have no system startup sound anymore. Touchpad first started giving me errors that the advanced features were disabled because another device was in use, when it wasn't.

Touchpad cursor started jumping all over the place - had to plug in a mouse to do anything. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the touchpad and it works fine until I reboot.

Something from the last few days has wiped out all my System Restore points. So whatever it is, or was, that caused these changes has me puzzled. I've been dealing with this for 3 days straight and I've tried just about everything.

This is an older HP Pavilion laptop..zv6000 with AMD Athlon 64 processor, XP OS. A few episodes of freezing have happened today as well..or just "sticking" in one place for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

Anyone who wishes to advise, I am ready to listen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I would try to replace the CMOS battery with a new one, first.

http://www.zlectronic.com/product/NEW-CMOS-BIOS-BATTERY-FOR-HP-PAVILION-ZV6000-ZV6009EA.html , appears to be standard CMOS battery, CR2032, available anywhere batteries are sold.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1855606-hp_pavilion_zv6000_laptop_cmos_battery

If problems continued, I would be thinking serious problems with motherboard.

Louis

#3 mscherw

mscherw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Wow Louis... that is really interesting! I never even knew this thing had such a battery. So glad I found you guys - this place is full of good information.

I will look into that of course.

I don't know if this will be easy for me to do myself or if I should take it to a shop? If it's not like major surgery, perhaps I can do it. Please let me know how you would rate the difficulty on this for a novice like me?? :D

Thank you again.. really!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

I don't own laptops...and certainly not the one you have...so I can't tell you how difficult it may or may not be.

There are some things in computing that can only be found out by trying...beyond the feedback that others have provided, I can't comment.

If it were me, I'd probably try it myself, since there seem to be understandable instructions for getting to the CMOS battery...and I don't get upset with myself if I make bad decisions. But...I stick to desktops, I'm no technician of any sort and I believe that laptops are made...not to facilitate repair by the novice that I am :).

Louis

#5 mscherw

mscherw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

I am getting Synaptics driver messages now and the stupid code 10 thing for the device.

This is so weird. When I uninstall the touchpad driver, the sound and keyboard come back.

When I install the touchpad driver, they go out on me again.

WHAT is going on here!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Could just be a situation of your touchpad driver being damaged...if the system works well without it, I would run without it.

I would later attempt to reinstall it and see if problems return.

The problem with a laptop that I see...is that it's hard to truly define the causes of issues. Theoretically...all this could be caused by simple overheating of the system, among other things.

Louis

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

Before presuming it is a hardware issue why not try a fresh install?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users