Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-RW drive not reading some disks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gailee

gailee

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

3 yr old Lite-on DVD-RW LH-20A1S. It is not reading OEM disks. It will read my backup copies of OEM, data CD-Rs and audio disks. It will not burn, sez no disk in drive. The power light comes on steady, the drive runs, the mouse pointer has the disk icon flashing next to it. While exploring my computer, sometimes it locks up while trying to use the drive. It ran fine the last time I installed a program (feb/mar and those disks are not being read right now). I have air dusted it, uninstalled the driver and found a firmware update at softpedia but it is up to date. Running winxp home sp2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hello gailee and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It is sad for me to say that the life expectancy of a optical that has burning capabilities has a very short lifespan.

The reason for this is because in order for that laser to burn into the layer of a writable disk, it has to emit a lot of heat, this heat is created by the intensity of the lasers beam being focused on the layer it is burning.

Like any light source, over a period of time the light grows weaker, the intensity grows weaker and the layers do not burn as deep as they did when the laser was at full power.

Often when disks start becoming coasters, it is often suggested to lower the burn speed of the drive and the drive will be able to heat the surface enough to get a readable disk once the burn process is finished.

However, when the drive gets to a point where it can no longer read perfectly written disks, it's time to retire the drive for a new one.

It clearly means the laser is too weak to read the tracks on the disk.

DVD/CD burner drives in both IDE/PATA and SATA are very cheap these days (usually under $40.00 USD, due to the newer Blue-Ray drive technology hitting todays computer market, so it is just as cost effective to purchase a new drive rather than try to revive this drive in question.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Also i realise you have SP2 installed, you should update to SP3 for security reasons.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

I purposely did not install sp3 yrs ago; thinking it's because of what I read with it having issues. I am trying to update my programs to install win 7. I guess I will try an older ide drive I have to get updated.

#5 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

MrBruce, so why will it read some and not others?

#6 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

On my laptop I copied the OEM disc to a CD-R and I was able to load the program using the above drive in question, although autoplay did not work. Why is that?

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

You could either fit a new DVD Burner, as suggested, they are quite cheap, or you coild try this Free Burner Program, http://www.imgburn.com/ just in case it is in the burning Program you use?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:05 PM

On my laptop I copied the OEM disc to a CD-R and I was able to load the program using the above drive in question, although autoplay did not work. Why is that?

For security reasons, depending on what operating system you have, auto-play is disabled by default.

If you wish auto-play to be functional so that there is no request sent to you for approval, you can change this setting so it is always on.

Windows XP, go to MY COMPUTER, right click the optical drive icon, choose PROPERTIES, look for AUTOPLAY tab, then un-check the button where it says Prompt me each time to choose an action by adding a check mark next to select an action to perform then select the media player icon called Play using Windows media player or if you prefer another media player choose your default player.

You can also select Open folder to view files and choose that action, then once all have been selected, click APPLY.

Under Vista and Windows 7 you can go to control panel and look for the view by 'category' drop down menu and select small icons, (that is if it is not already selected) then look for an icon called AutoPlay. It is here, that you can enable autoplay for disk drives.

Now your system will autoplay the media automatically, be advise, this also allows infected media files to auto run or auto install on your computer, this is not always safe to allow with unknown media disks from other people's computers.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2011 - 07:10 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Oh I know all that about autoplay. I'm not concerned with the autoplay not working since it does on audio cds. My question was why does the drive read a copied OEM disc and not the OEM??

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Okay, I understand your question now and sorry I misunderstood your question the first time around.

If we were to examine how media disks were manufactured, how the aluminum layer sandwiched inside the disk is burned into with a high powered laser to create circular tracks of hills and valleys, to which the laser later reads and interprets as data.

Then consider that fact that the lasers are situated on a carrier and properly angled towards the surface of the disk.

Now lets look at the other factors involved here, how deep is the tracks on the disk, what angel was the laser on during the burn process? What angel is the reading lens on?

Often a laser can read back what it originally wrote, be cause the lens is on the same angel during both write and read states.

Being that the OEM disk was burned with a different laser, the angels don't match and you get a read error.

If you have ever examined a laser lens, you'd notice the lens is floating on a spring suspended carrier, the lens can be pushed around and tilted on its axis, this can cause the lens to be on different angels at different times, or not matched up with the track angels on pre-recorded disks.

I don't think I used a good way of explaining this to you and for that I am sorry, but hopefully you were able to follow what I was trying to explain to you.

You could read up on the Internet on how CD and DVD drives work.

Here's one such link.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cd-burner.htm

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 August 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#11 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Last night I told my husband the story of copying the disc and how the copied one worked. He said it's the weight of the disc that isn't recognized. He says it has happened in his disc changer w/ music cds. So what you say makes sense. Unfortunate for me tho! Maybe that's why the new DVD-RWs I bought aren't recognized in my laptop but they are in my dvd player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users