Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike1

Mike1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

Howdy All -
Looked for the topic elsewhere but didn't see it. If previously posted, let me know.

Dell 3000, WinXP Home, lost connectivity after a cleanup and reboot. I updated and ran Spybot, Spywareblaster, Ad-aware SE 1.06, and Bulletproof Spyware & Adware Remover; nothing spectactular found but had a few malwares to delete. I cleared out cookies, history, and files via IE properties. I did a reboot. During reboot McAfee Virus notified that its software had not loaded properly, and the network icon (lower right in tray) notified of limited or no connectivity while sporting a yellow-clad exclamation point.

I've been through this battle before with my Dell 8200 and had success after rebooting everything in the house; running "netsh winsock reset" via command prompt; running WINSOCKXPFIX.exe and invoking system restore. I've tried all of this this time around to no avail. I've also tried unsuccessfully invoking the repair option from the network connections property box, as well as ipconfig/release -->ipconfig/renew via the command prompt. The software is set to Obtain an Ip address automatically.

Currently ipconfig/all lists the IP Address as 169.254.253.248 (typically would be 192.168.0.x) and Subnet Mask as 255.255.0.0 (typically 255.255.255.0).

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hi Mike

I'm afraid i can't help you with your connectivity problems. However, i can recommend that you get rid of Bulletproof Software. It is listed under the rogue antispyware products list here:

BPS Spyware & Adware Remover

False positives work as goad to purchase; company is known adware distributor (1); exploits name SpywareBlaster (1) & SpywareGuard (1); Ad-aware rip-off (1, 2); Spybot S&D rip-off (1, 2, 3); old version was same app as Real AdWareRemoverGold, Spyware Nuker, & TZ Spyware Adware Remover; new version uses "Spyware Cops" or "Spy Striker" front end [A: 6-26-04 / U: 12-19-05]

You should be able to uninstall the program from add/remove in the control panel.

David :thumbsup:

#3 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:04 PM

Hi Mike

I'm afraid i can't help you with your connectivity problems. However, i can recommend that you get rid of Bulletproof Software. It is listed under the rogue antispyware products list here:

BPS Spyware & Adware Remover

False positives work as goad to purchase; company is known adware distributor (1); exploits name SpywareBlaster (1) & SpywareGuard (1); Ad-aware rip-off (1, 2); Spybot S&D rip-off (1, 2, 3); old version was same app as Real AdWareRemoverGold, Spyware Nuker, & TZ Spyware Adware Remover; new version uses "Spyware Cops" or "Spy Striker" front end [A: 6-26-04 / U: 12-19-05]

You should be able to uninstall the program from add/remove in the control panel.

David :thumbsup:

Hey David,

I seem to recall the BPS software coming with the computer and until now hasn't presented as a problem. Nonetheless, it may find its way off of my HD soon. Thanks for the response. BTW, I've just invoked sfc/scannow; maybe that'll give rise to a solution.

TTFN,

Mike

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

How are you connecting to Internet? If you have a cable or dsl modem and don't find anything else, try unplugging modem--power and telephone or cable--for 1 minute. Reconnect and reboot, sometimes the modem hangs up, more often with cable, but dsl as well, and this problem has little to do with computer.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

Assuming you have a broadband connection, shut everything down and try bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem.

Check your firewall settings.

Make sure your AV program (especially if it's Norton) is not disallowing connectivity.

#6 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hey Folks,

Problem resolved, for now. It's amazing what a reboot can do. Now all I have to do is find a way to convince my router that it's been rebooted when it has been rebooted. In this case, two of three computers connected to the router worked flawlessly while the third (the computer in question) was unable to acquire an address, despite a router reboot. What seems to have finally prevailed was a longer wait-time for the reboot (router, BTW, is a D-Link DI-604). Thanks for the help folks.

TTFN,

Mike

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:13 AM

I had a very similar problem with a Linksys NR041-wm router. Turned out, in my case, to be a defective ethernet port (port 1) on the router. I moved ports and used the same router for another 16 months.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users