Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys BEFW11S4 Broadband Router Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpsevil

jpsevil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:23 PM

Perhaps this isn't the correct board to ask this question on, but here goes:

I purchased Linksys BEFW11S4 Broadband Router last year under my old Static IP DSL service. I live in an apartment complex with DSL, so I don't have a modem...I just plus the computer or router directly into the wall jack.

Anyway, the router worked perfectly under the old static system. However, my apartment complex changed providers and we now have an Automatic IP system. I made the changes to the router (changing from Static IP to Obtain Address Automatically).

The problem is that the router will not receive the IP numbers from the wall jack. If I plug the cord directly into my computer, I can connect. However, despite several attempts on the router to "renew IP address," it still reads the IP address as 0.0.0.0. I do have the latest firmware from Linksys, which I have found to be version 1.50.14.

Interesting, a few times the numbers have been acquired by the router. This usually occurs after having the router connected to the wall for several hours...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

Are you using the same cable bnetween your computer and the jack and the router and jack?

#3 jpsevil

jpsevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for replying. I've tried both the cable that I use with my computer and other cables. All have the same result...

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

Sounds strange...have you tried calling linksys on this?

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:55 PM

Have you tryed to reset the router to factory settings.
There should be a little hole in the front of the router take something that will fit in the hole with the router on hold the reset button the red light will come on then the green lights will come back on, this takes about 15 sec. so be sure to hold it in till it resets. This should do the trick. You can do the firmware updates after that if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users