Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somoto - Browser Hijack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 pgrant

pgrant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Whenever I create a new tab in Explorer,it is redirected to a Search engine web site called Somoto (which I doubt is a genuine search engine...)

I would like to remove this malware if I can. I have tried to disable all toolbars in Internet Explorer and that has no effect. I have scanned the PC with Norton, McAfee, SuperAntiSpyware, Malware Bytes - nothing has worked so far. I am attaching a log form Hijack This - but I cannnot see anything evidently wrong.

Any ideas please?

Attached Files

Edited by pgrant, 18 August 2011 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pgrant

pgrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

Problem now resolved.

I found a file called somoto.dll in a folder for an application called Pivot Stick Toolbar. I uninstalled the toolbar from Add/Pemove programs and the problem is gone.

This dodgy piece of software must be more than a Toolbar as the Hijacks continued even when the Toolbar was disabled in Internet Explorer.

A list of the software that failed to detect it includes:

• Norton 360
  • McAfee
  • Hijack This
  • SuperAntiSpyware
  • Malware Bytes

According to the Webroot site, Somoto was first discovered nearly a year ago and none of these malware packages identify the problem. See discovery dates below.

• Germany on Sep 25 2010
  • The United Kingdom on Dec 24 2010
  • Indonesia on May 28 2011

When can we expect half decent malware protection? Is Webroot now better than the rest of the Malaware products?????

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users