Great info at this site so I hope someone can help me out. First off: I am running Vista Home SP1 on a Toshiba Satellite A135 with 2GB Ram. About 6 months ago, the Windows Update of SP2 got stalled and did not finish. Since then Windows Update has not been (for the most part) updating. Additionally, Windows Explorer crashes at least 1 out of every 4 sessions. Another symptom is that the CPU usage unexpectedly spikes and the computer runs hot. I have ignored this as long as possible but tonite it made video playback on Netflix extremely choppy and that was the last straw.
Here is what I have googled and done over the last 6 hours to attempt to fix this (I know just barely enough about computers to be dangerous to myself). I suspected my machine needed an update:
1) Tried again to install Windows updates but failed. Got 80070017 error. Thought it might be a corrupted registry file. Stupidly, I ran a program called Error End that I found at wiki-errors.com. After the scan, I uninstalled Error End and went to CNET and found both Wise Registry Cleaner and Free Window Registry Repair. I had a ton of errors (1400 detected by Wise & 2000+ by FWRR) so I fixed them. Still no luck with Windows Update.
2) Found a post that made me suspect malware/virus which led me to a post on this forum. I then downloaded and ran rkill.exe with clean results. I updated Malwarebytes and ran full scan. Unfortunately, my ADD got the better of me and after 40 minutes running with 0 infections I stopped the scan (I know, stupid). I didn't run this in Safe Mode nor did I download and run the antivirus that was recommended. Still no luck with Windows Update.
3) Found a forum post from a MS Tech that recommended cleaning out temp folders and running disk clean up. When I did this Immunet detected and quarantined a Trojan ( w32.trojan.8dcd ). He also recommended a system scan and disk check.
4) Moved on to running sfc /scannow and chkdisc. The scan came back that "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" but the disk check was clean. I have attached the part of the CBS log from that scan to this post.
5) There appears to be two entries that are corrupted #1: t1033.ngr" of Microsoft-Windows-SpeechRecognizerENU.ale #2: "mfc80u.dll" of Microsoft.VC80.MFC.
At this point, I know I'm out of my league and could use some bleeping help. I do not have my installation disks to repair with. Also, I would like to keep the data from this computer but if push comes to shove I can live without it. Hopefully, someone here can save me a trip and expense of taking my machine into a computer shop. Don't have much to barter with but as a casino exec I could certainly teach you how to count cards at Blackjack, lol.
Thanks in advance,
PS: Going to sleep for a few hours so I'm gonna let the Malwarebytes full scan run while I'm asleep.