Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 530 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crazykats4

crazykats4

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hello.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows Vista. Upon startup, the Dell screen hangs with the F2 and F12 options then eventually goes black with a cursor in the upper left. Windows never loads.

This problem has been occurring for about a week. The first time it happened, an option to repair it automatically came up and it worked fine for a about 2 days. Now, there is not even a repair option. I also tried unplugging the power cord for a few minutes.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

When you see the options for the F2 and F12 options start tapping the F12 button, until you see "loading" pop up in it's place. After that a boot menu should pop up, and when it does select Dell Diagnostic Utility.. see if that finds any bad hardware.

#3 crazykats4

crazykats4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't look good. I am thinking that the hard drive may be bad. I ran the diagnostic tests and came up with the following error codes, all beginning with 0F00: 0428,1228,0D28,0E28,1A28,137B,0628,1328,0244

Failed tests are as follows: device quick check, SMART long self test, SMART short self test, read test, SMART test, start unit(idle)command, stop unit(standby)command, verify test, confidence test

If the hard drive does need to be replaced, how would I go about extracting files from it before discarding?

Thank you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

You'd have to slave it to another system.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/extracting-data-from-a-dead-laptop-with-a-laptop-hard-drive-adapter/5160538

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users