Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging partitions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ronfiveo

ronfiveo

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I decided to run Mint Linux system along side of my Vista 32 program.
I chose to partition the hard drive in to two equal parts on my 1Tb drive.
I decided that I did not want the Linux and using a partition manager I deleted the Linux partition.

Now for the fun part...I now have a drive that has two equal partitions and I need to combine the two so that I have free access to all of the drives
storage capacity.

I have the Easeus Partition Master Home and would like to use this tool to do this, but I am not sure if using the " merge" option will do what I want or not.

The Vista32 OS is on the primary partition and the now unassigned (logical) partition is empty.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ronnie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

The merge utility is what your going to want to use, but when you extend a Windows partition it usually corrupts the boot manager. If that tool you have is anything like Acronis, there should be a command prompt that you can open and run commands. Can you give me a list of the options you have and I can possibly direct you further.

Edited by MarkGS, 18 August 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

A screenshot from Disk Management...would eliminate a lot of misunderstanding :).

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Use Print Screen key to save image, reduce in size, upload as attachment.

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

Louis

#4 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

Ok here's a screen shot.

Edited by ronfiveo, 18 August 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#5 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

The upload was too small try this one

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

The merge option...refers to two partitions.

You don't have two partitions adjacent to each other...you have 1 partition and 1 large chunk of unallocated space.

You can simply resize the existing partition to include the unallocated space...if that's what you want. I suggest that you review the instructions for using Easeus Partition Master.

Louis

#7 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thanks Louis, I will do that and let you know how it goes.

Ronnie

#8 ronfiveo

ronfiveo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Louis, I did just that and after reading other posts on this subject I found that using the disk manager would work for me.

I just opened the disk manager program and right clicked on the C: partition (the only one it showed like you said) and chose to extend it and it came up
that I only had "XXXXX" amount of space to extend which was the actual size of the unallocated space.

So, I just , with out changing the numbers already supplied in the box, I just clicked next and *poof * it was done.

Now, I have all of my drive back to C: and a little left that was allocated. probably a boot partition or sector which is needed for start up, but I am just guessing at that.

Any way I am a happy camper to be sure thanks to you and other advisors on BC Forums.

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Thanks,

Ronnie

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users