Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop CPU at 100% util

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 brederic

brederic

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

Hi there,

In the last few days, my lap top (Compaq nx9420/ Windows XP Pro) has begun to stay at 100% utilization all the time. I have not changed how I have been using it. To try to fix it, I have tried,

- disabling some unused startup programs
- using System Restore to roll back to a time before when the problems started

No luck so far. Can you please help?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MR Cracker

MR Cracker

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

try to find which process uses CPU with task manager

Edited by MR Cracker, 18 August 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#3 brederic

brederic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

Here is the top of the list:

CarboniteService.exe
chrome.exe {x4 one for each tab open)
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
MsMpEng.exe
Dropbox.exe
Carbonite UI.exe
System Idle Process

None of these processes is dominating, they are swapping in and out. And the highest CPU utilization is just under 40% by the Chrome process I am typing in right now.

Thanks for your help!

Brent

#4 brederic

brederic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

I should add that my CPU only gets pegged when my laptop is connected to the internet. Once I disconnect it, after some time, the CPU calms down.

-Brent

#5 MR Cracker

MR Cracker

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

carboniteservice.exe is a backup program so it needs to use cpu for backing up
for MsMpEng.exe read here and here
and this is for Dropbox.exe
dropbox.exe CPU is at 98-100% constantly

chrome.exe
first of all update your broswer to the least version
then use internet security programs to stop bad script and sites
if the problem continuous tell us to try another solution

#6 brederic

brederic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Based on the suggestions you provided I did the following:

- Installed the latest version of Chrome (13.x)
- Adjusted Microsoft Security Essentials to exclude expensive files and processes, including Carbonite [This appears to have taken MSE off the top of the CPU list :)]
- Made minor changes to Carbonite settings to avoid conflicts b/w Carbonite and DropBox

RESULTS:
MSE and DropBox are not on the top of the CPU list
Carbonite is staying below 10% CPU at all times

But I'm still at 100% CPU
Top processes:
chrome.exe
explorer.exe
services.exe

It looks like I need some more help, please.

#7 MR Cracker

MR Cracker

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

ok
for chrome cpu usege read here
High CPU Usage
and for explorer.exe and services.exe
read this topic and put log here

#8 MR Cracker

MR Cracker

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

...unfortunately I don't have any idea about explorer.exe and services.exe cpu usage :(
but you can
-try to stop some services and see changes
-scan your computer with kaspersky, norton, comodo or MBAM
-install or repair new windows
-remove chrome and see changes
-install tweaker and cleaner programs to fix system probloms
-try to find exactly when cpu usage starts after doing some tasks or from start of windows
-see to your HDD LED and network traffic with a firewall to know about malware activity(s)

Edited by quietman7, 24 August 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

brederic

I have moved (split away) your log(s) to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum as they are not permitted in this forum.

Please go here, click on the Options button in the upper right corner of that thread and choose Track this topic. Subscribe to that topic to ensure you are notified when a helper replies.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable. If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users