I have an old, OLD computer that I'd like to see properly functioning again. The thing has some malware on it that I tried to remove about 6 or 7 years ago. I was able to remove most of the malware through Spybot S&D, but there are some things that it could never remove. I haven't really touched it since about 2 or 3 years ago. Aside from the malware, all the hardware was working fine. Then, a few weeks ago, I moved the old thing into my apartment. It had been sitting around in my grandparent's old house for a year. I turn it on and start removing all the unnecessary programs since I decided I would try to save it first before going the route of reinstalling Windows 98. I planned on cleaning the malware out with some free programs I burnt to a CD (like a newer version of Spybot and a couple of other things). I stick the CD in and nothing happens. It won't read the CD. At first, I assumed I burnt the CD wrong. So, I burnt another CD. It also would not read.
My next thought was maybe it just couldn't read the type of CDs I was using since it's an ancient computer. The thing is 16 years old, after all! So, I get one of my games that I used to play on it. The disc was scratch free, and it wouldn't read that either. And since that game used to work, I knew that I had a problem.
So, I check to see if the driver for the CD drive was working. It appeared to be fine when I looked in my settings. It didn't say it had an error or anything. After that, I turned off the computer and inserted my Windows 98 CD upon immediately turning it on to see if it was just Windows 98 that for some reason wasn't reading the CDs. Nothing happened. So, then I was 95% sure that my CD drive was broken. The other 5% was the possibility that maybe I knocked a wire loose or something during the move, but I was being careful with it.
ONWARD TO THE QUESTIONS! So, my CD drive is broken or something. I went to my settings to see what the CD Drive was, since I honestly know nothing about the hardware on that computer. It told me the driver was a SONY CD-ROM CDU77E
, which is IDE I think? So, what kind of IDE CD drives can I get? I'm assuming all the wires are in tact. Can I buy anything? One with a CD burner? I don't know if it can handle a DVD drive since it's so old or if Windows 98 even supports DVD drives. What would you guys recommend? I could just find and buy the exact same CD drive I already had, but I'd rather get something better.
Next question. How hard is it to change a CD Drive for someone who has never opened up a computer before? I've opened up my old Nintendo (NES) before and changed the 72 bit pin in there with instructions. I've also opened up my friend's Ipod video 30GB and changed the battery in it before. So I at least have a little experience opening up electronics, even though I've had no experience opening computers. It's hardly any experience, but at least it's something, lol.
While I'll be opening the computer, I was thinking I'd upgrade the hard drive while I was at it. How hard is it to do that? Is it has simple as just connecting wires to something? Cause I don't have tools to do anything complicated. Why do I want to upgrade the hard drives Well, look at the specs of this old thing:
Intel Pentium® Processor
32 MB RAM812 MB Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
What's the highest sort of hard drive I can put in something like this, provided it's not too hard? I was thinking of at least a 2GB hard drive.
So yeah. Those are all my questions. I'm mainly concerned about replacing the CD Drive, so answers to my questions about that would be what I'd most like to hear. I would like to know what I can do with the hard drive situation as well, but the CD Drive is way more important to me if no one can help me with the hard drive questions.