Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get SAVCE to Accept Updates

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 laradioguy

laradioguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

This is my first post EVER, so if it is the wrong place or in the wrong format, please accept my apologies. Thank you in advance for your understanding and help.

PC with:
XP Pro, SP3
500 Megs RAM
40 GB HDD

The first symptom of trouble on this machine was a “disk full” popup. All the following has been done in Safe Mode: I immediately ran “disk cleanup” which didn’t find a lot to delete. I then found a strange user profile which I deleted, giving me several gigs to work with. However, in trying to update my AV program, Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition (10.1), I found it was not receiving any “pushed” updates from the server. The last definitions file was from 3/11/11.

I downloaded the “Intelligent Updater” from Symantec’s website and ran it. It appears that it expanded and loaded properly but the definitions will NOT load. I tried ComboFix but it, too, will not run. Hitman Pro only found some inconsequential cookies. Malwarebytes accepted an update of both its program and definitions, but a full scan revealed nothing that allows the SAVCE update to happen. I’m convinced that an up-to-date definitions file will find whatever is making this machine sick!

Also checked for any changes to the HOSTS files, strange entries in the Firewall or anything in Scheduled Tasks.

I am attaching a HijackThis log file in the hope that someone can see what I am NOT seeing. Like, the forest through the trees.

Thanks!

Ron

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2011 - 11:09 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users