Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Win2k

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

I'm trying to upgrade a Win 98-2 OS to Win2K with no success. It's an ancient AMD 750, AMI mobo system with one processor upgrade in the past. I've flashed the BIOS and updated all the drivers before attempting the upgrade. As soon as the first of four install reboot takes place.....that's it. No beep, no video, nothing. The HD and fans are running but the processor light on the front of the tower is unlit.

I don't think it matters, but I'm selecting NT file system on the upgrade attempt and there's a secondary slave HD. I've got plenty of RAM and this happens whether attempting an upgrade or clean install.

I'm only upgrading as my daughter got an Ipod and it won't work on 9x.

As always, thank you.

Randall

Edited by randyrayd, 17 January 2006 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:51 AM

If you want to use NTFS you will need to format the drive before attempting the install. Does the OS CD do this as part of the install?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

I'm assuming (dangerous to do) when the install asks me if I wish to use NTFS that it will format. I'm going to buy a new computer anyway. This one is over eight years old. It just ticks me off I can't upgrade, when I think I've done all the right things.

Randall

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

You could try formating the drive with NTFS prior to installing the OS. Many hard drive manufacturers have utilities to do that.

This could be a hardware compatibility issue. The Windows 2000 Hardware Compatibility List will let you know if your hardware qualifies if you know what you have in there. If you were to remove any expansion cards like a modem or NIC and disconnect any scanner or printer so that all you have is the video when you install 2000 you may get lucky.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users