Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe to uninstall Firefox Using RevoUninstaller Advanced?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jewel431

Jewel431

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

I am uninstalling Firefox using RevoUninstallers Advanced method but there are a whole lot of files and registry entries so can someone take a look for me at my screenshot HERE and let me know if I can delete these safely? Or will I mess up my pc...It's a long image so you'll have to zoom, sorry!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Mythbusters

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hello jewel431,

Have a look at this link: Uninstalling Firefox. If the standard "Program and Features" uninstall doesn't work, then try to locate and run the "Helper.exe" file located in the Mozilla Firefox\uninstall folder.

Another thought would be to reinstall your current firefox version, then uninstall it in the usual way. This may correct any corrupted files hampering an uninstall.
Older versions of Firefox can be downloaded here.

I have used Revo Uninstaller successfully many times in the past without incident. I haven't used it, however, to remove a browser.

Regards,
Artrooks

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Jewel431

Jewel431
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thank you for replying. Secunia indicated my firefox version was "end of life" and since I'd been having pc issues lately, I figured uninstall/reinstall rather than update. I ended up using the advance revouninstall but only selecting items to delete that indicated "firefox" in them, and clicking to remove all my data in the ff uninstaller. Then ran a Secunia scan again, which STILL found firefox installed in C:\Windows\ERDNT\cache86\firefox.exe, and still "end of life." I didn't know if that is a necessary file as it's in the Windows directory, so I renamed it to see if something doesn't work without it, rescanned with Secunia and since nothing outdated was found, reinstalled fresh copy of Firefox. But still, all my data is intact, all of my passwords, all of my bookmarks, homepages, etc. I am trying very hard to fix my pc since the MWT found it not to be infected, but it is a slow, difficult process!

Thanks again.
- Mythbusters

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

There is a program called "ERUNT" (the emergency recovery utility NT) that automatically or manually can make a backup of your computer's registry. The registry backup is stored at: C:\Windows\ERDNT\. It looks as if that program has been run on your computer. The ERDNT directory is not critical for the running of windows and may be deleted if you are cleaning up. I assume that System Restore is active on your computer so that you have registry backups available should you need them.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Jewel431

Jewel431
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

I've never heard of ERUNT or run it on my pc...could it have been preinstalled/bundled with my original retail Windows 7 OS or maybe installed along with something else? Either way, if that is the case, I'd rather just delete that entire directory because my system is having issues uninstalling ANYTHING. Half the time, after uninstall, the exe file along with other files are still there in Program Files and the other half of the time, they seem to be uninstalled but when I reinstall, everything is back, passwords and all (even my clean reinstall of ESET NOD32 had my username/ password already filled in). Maybe that directory is the cause then, so would it be safe for me to just delete the whole ERDNT directory, since it's not actually a vital Windows folder?
- Mythbusters

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

The ERDNT directory can be safely deleted.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users