Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pickajoe

Pickajoe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have a mother board with three RAM memory slots. I have 2 sticks of 256 and 1 stick of 512 and i want to know how to get the best performance. This is how I have it set up

I have the 512 in the first slot, 256 in second, and 256 in third. The first two slots are next to each other while the third slot is farther away.

I have tried putting the 512 in the third slot and having the first two slots with the 256 but after a few minutes my computer will show a blue screen telling me something is wrong with the hardware. The only way I can get my computer to work is if i have the 512 in the first slot like I said above. But with that setup am I getting the dual channel? The computer does recongnize 1GB of RAM

Edited by Pickajoe, 17 January 2006 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

Pickajoe...we will need to know what motherboard you are using. It would also help to know the specs for the RAM modules. As for dual channel, as the name implys, there are two modules (matched) in this comfiguration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

K7N2 Delta(MSI k7 Mainboard for the AMD Athlon XP processors) The two 256 RAM sticks are the same but the 512 is a different brand.

The two 256 sticks are: PC3200 184-pin DIMM
The 512 is : PC3200 DDR

Edited by Pickajoe, 18 January 2006 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Pickajoe

Pickajoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

Does nobody have an answer?
Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:47 AM

But with that setup am I getting the dual channel?

No. In order to operate dual channel you can only use two modules, and they have to be matched spec wise, and in your case they would be in the first two slots. Depending on what you are using this computer for, you might not even notice any performance difference in dual channel, but if you are into games, the extra 512MB will make a difference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

In order to get the best memory performance out such a broad spectrum of RAM - I'd have to suggest a benchmarking program and testing each possible combination. I don't know much about benchmarking programs tho'.

In general, dual channel requires 2 identical sticks of RAM in the appropriate slots on your motherboard (this information will be in the manual that came with the motherboard). If you stick another stick in, you'll lose the dual channel.

Now, you may not notice much of an improvement with dual channel (I didn't) - so it's advisable for you to benchmark all the combinations of your RAM that your motherboard supports.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users