Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet After Virus Removal (cannot acquire network address)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 B Grafton

B Grafton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am working on a home laptop, running Windows XP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 3. It was infected with the Internet Security Essentials virus, plus who knows what else. The computer appears to be virus free now.

To get functioning again, I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and the Avast free anti-virus software on a Windows boot-time scan. The Avast was the last function I ran, and I have since run a scan that came up clean. Everything on the computer appears to be working, except the internet.
I have tried both the wired and wireless internet connections, and they both are stuck on "Acquiring network address". Also, there are two computers connected directly to the internet, as well as another laptop working on a wireless connection, so my internet service is fine.

It seems that I knocked something out when finally cleaning out the virus/malware with the Avast, but I don't know how to fix it. I have tried three fixes so far. I reset the TCP/IP. The Windows XP network diagnostics said there was a "problem with the Winsock provider catalog", so I ran the reset it provided. I then also downloaded and ran "WinsockxpFix", which still did not solve the problem.

Can anyone out here help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Softscience

Softscience

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm having a similar situation. This weekend my ACER laptop running XP was infected with the XP homesecurity 2012 garbage. One of the first things that happened was that the web disconnected and when it tried to reconnect it would cycle around and think while acquiring the network address.

I was able to remove the virus (I'm pretty sure at least), but I still can't get back online. The network is fine, because my wife's computer is able to get online just fine.

I called up the tech support for my internet provider and he set up a new network for me, but I can't connect to that one either. It seems the virus monkeyed up my connection settings.

Please let me know what info you might need to help me with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users