Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing XP Antivirus 2012

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnicklas

johnnicklas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hello Forum! My computer has a virus called XP Antivirus 2012. I believe it was downloaded by a friend when he was using my guest login account. The guest login seems to be the only part of the computer affected. XP Antivirus 2012 has total control when you login under guest. I cannot use the internet in that mode. However, when I login as admin, the computer seems to work normally.

I have Webroot antivirus and it detects the malware and removes it, but it comes right back. I have a HijackThis log but don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

We have a removal guide for this infection here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

Please let me know if this resolves your problems in a reply to this topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 johnnicklas

johnnicklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hello Orange Blossom! Yes, the virus has been deleted and my computer appears to be working correctly again. Thanks so much.

This may be a question for another forum, but to keep this from happening again, is there a way to limit the activity in a user account? I received the virus beacause a friend was in a guest account and downloaded it. He needs to use the computer, but I feel I need to limit what he can and cannot do. Other than hiring a babysitter, is there a way to design his login account so that it can surf the internet but can't download anything?

I always appreciate the availability of forums like this. You people rock!

John

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

Depending on your OS and browser, yes; it's called Parental Controls.

Built in with WIN 7, IE8, IE9, and FF5 (and I believe 6, but I haven't confirmed). Vista has a lesser capable Parental Controls function as well.

You can allow Internet Access and block all download and install functions (restrict to Admin), just make sure it's a User account and an Admin account is enabled with a password.

Also suggest installing real time protection; I like AVG 2011 (free) though are many comparable products listed here at BC.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Hello,

I'm glad your problems have been resolved.

As for preventing folks from downloading stuff like that, I think that would fall under group policies or something like that. You would create the settings using the Admin. account.

I don't think parental controls will fully accomplish what you are asking. You might be better off asking that particular question in the proper OS forum for your computer.

Perhaps title it something like: How do I place limits on guest accounts?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users