Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BenyBlanco

BenyBlanco

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hello,
I was helped by someone in the virus area and was informed of an option to reformat my pc to get rid of a backdoor Trojan. I was directed here and I do not know how to reformat. Also, I had purchased an upgrade to Windows 7 on the internet. If I upgrade, would it get rid of the Trojan as reformatting would? Or should I reformat and then upgrade later?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Copied from this link: Clean-install Windows 7 from the upgrade disc

.........If you have a version of Windows running on your PC, start Windows, insert the Windows 7 upgrade DVD, and follow the on-screen instructions. (All of the usual caveats about first backing up your data apply, of course.) If you wish, you can reformat your hard drive at the beginning of the installation process. This wipes out all the old data stored on the drive..............

You can also reformat, reinstall Vista if you have the Vista disks. Windows will ask if you want to reformat at the time of install.
Just follow the instructions from the disks.

After new installation you will need to update windows and reinstall programs.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 BenyBlanco

BenyBlanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Cool, I would like to reformat the harddrive but don't know how to. Also I purchased the online version and did not get the disk and deleted the link I had to the Windows 7 upgrade page. Do you happen to know the windows upgrade page?

Edited by boopme, 17 August 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

You were advised to reformat the disk...which means deleting the old O/S and partition structure.

If you delete the old O/S, that disqualifies you from qualifying to use an upgrade version of Win 7, IMO. Some Win 7 users have reported installing Win 7 minus a qualifying other version of Windows...I would not want to try it.

Louis

#5 BenyBlanco

BenyBlanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Louis. I've already upgraded but I'm not sure if I reformat my O/S. All I did was perform the upgrade in custom mode. Did this clean out my computer as reformatting would?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

A quick look in Disk Management...will reveal what's on the hard drive, whether it's one O/S or two.

You are asking me questions...that you should know the answer to, since you are the one who oversaw the process you accomplished.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users