Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP install Drive letter issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

I am trying to do a fresh install of XP on a blank drive that has been wiped. It keeps wanting to assign drive letter F: to the drive. It is detecting 2 onboard media slots as drives even though they are empty. My first thought was to simply unplug the so they would not be detected, gowever they ar built into the motherboard with no wires to unplug.

System is an Asus P1 barebones. It has 1 HDD . Any suggestions?

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Can the media slots be disabled in the BIOS?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Not that I could find. Have decided to install windows using another pc then move hard drive back and see what happens. Asus has not responded to my support request.

Thanks.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Not that I could find. Have decided to install windows using another pc then move hard drive back and see what happens. Asus has not responded to my support request.

Thanks.

That won't work. Is anything plugged into usb ports?

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Could you look for Cardbus on your BIOS and Disable it?
After that please installing your WinXP again.

Installing WinXP on another computer sometimes wouldn't boot if you switch Mainboard.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

If those slots are not set as bootable in the BIOS...there is no way that they should interfere with a clean install of Windows. Even if they are bootable...they should have no impact on doing a clean install with a valid MS XP install CD. Such installs happen every day on systems, with no consideration of such media slots.

Since you don't mention what media you are attempting this exercise with...please tell us.

XP CDs do not necessarily perform well with pre-formatted hard drives. I suggest deleting everything on drive from the XP CD...then starting the install process, as XP CDs are set up to do.

http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/P_Series_0811L/P1AH1/#specifications . From looking at the specs/description, it appears to me that Asus may have created/installed partitions on the hard drive. Eliminating the Windows partition would have no impact on other partitions which may have been created.

Louis

#7 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

Could you look for Cardbus on your BIOS and Disable it?
After that please installing your WinXP again.

Installing WinXP on another computer sometimes wouldn't boot if you switch Mainboard.

If those slots are not set as bootable in the BIOS...there is no way that they should interfere with a clean install of Windows. Even if they are bootable...they should have no impact on doing a clean install with a valid MS XP install CD. Such installs happen every day on systems, with no consideration of such media slots.

Since you don't mention what media you are attempting this exercise with...please tell us.

XP CDs do not necessarily perform well with pre-formatted hard drives. I suggest deleting everything on drive from the XP CD...then starting the install process, as XP CDs are set up to do.

http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/P_Series_0811L/P1AH1/#specifications . From looking at the specs/description, it appears to me that Asus may have created/installed partitions on the hard drive. Eliminating the Windows partition would have no impact on other partitions which may have been created.

Louis

Thanks for the responses, which all basically said it won't work to install on another pc, and which were all wrong. And no there not an option in bios to disable them.

I am up and running. Here's what i did:

1.took bare drive out
2. Unplugged drive in second working pc (hp i previously gutted and put in new mobo, processor ram hdd and multi optical drive)
3. Plugged in bare drive and installed windows xp completely but no updates.
4. Put hdd back into Asus and started it up.
5. Upon BSOD inserted windows xp disk and instructed it to repair the install.

Presto !! I now have Windows installed with correct drive letter and have done all updates including SP3 etc.

All is working perfectly.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Yes, a repair install in this instance will generally (though not always) work as you found out - but that wasn't what you asked. Anyway, glad you're up and running - thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users