Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with svchost.exe application error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erik ross

erik ross

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

Good day,

I'm currently having problems with my Dell Inspiron laptop, which is running on Win XP Sp 3.
A few days back I encountered some difficulties logging into a banking website to make some transaction.
Chrome came up with DNS lookup failed despite several attempts to log in.

There are no problems with other websites, only this particular one.
Thinking it could be something wrong with their server, I gave call to their customer service but they replied that their system are up and running
smoothly. I checked a local online community, searching if there are any others who share the same problems as I did.
To cut the long story short, apparently the problem only affected Win XP Sp 3 users.

Someone came up with the solution to use Winsockxpfix. I downloaded and run the program, and not long after I could already access the website as usual.I thought that was the end of my problems. But I was wrong. The real problem starts here.

Apparently, Winsockxpfix seemed to screw with my laptop. After rebooting, problems immediately surface. I get some error messages with regards to svchost.exe -

1. The instruction at "0x7c9100e8" referenced memory at 0x000000010 cannot be read
2. Data prevention win32 services error message
3. Generic host process for win32 services error message

The audio also seemed to be disabled.
It mentioned something about "This application failed to start because ctintrfc.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Oddly enough, I can't play mp3 on winamp, but there's audio if I go to Youtube. Sometimes it's the other way around!

I need to point out that my laptop runs on AVG antivirus, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes & PC Tool's Threatfire, so I don't really think the problem is due to virus or malware. Scan results only show false positives from several websites, and there is no virus or malware detected. Furthermore, using HelpAsst_mebroot_fix also yielded negative results.

My wireless internet connection is up and running as usual, and other programs are also unaffected by this.

Additionally, sometimes when I reboot I get no error messages at all, but this problem pops almost every time.
I am very much baffled from this point onwards. Any help is very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

To get back to square one you could do a system restore to a date prior to using Winsockxpfix.

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity

For most issues that involve Internet connectivity, start by using the Network Diagnostics tool to identify the source of the issue. To use Network Diagnostics, follow these steps

Automated troubleshooting

1 Click Start, and then click Help and Support.

2. Click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.

3. When you click Scan your system, Network Diagnostics gathers configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.

4. When the process is completed, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed.

You can either use that information to resolve the issue or you can provide the information to a network support professional for help. If you compare the tests that failed with the documentation in the Manual Troubleshooting section later in this article, you may be able to determine the source of the issue. To interpret the results for TCP/IP, expand the Network Adapters section of the results, and then expand the network adapter that failed the testing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

How to reset TCP/IP

Go to Start> Run and type in cmd and press Enter.

A screen similar to the one below will open.

Posted Image

There will be a blinking white cursor, type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then press Enter.

Reboot the computer.

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2011 - 10:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 erik ross

erik ross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

To get back to square one you could do a system restore to a date prior to using Winsockxpfix.

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity

For most issues that involve Internet connectivity, start by using the Network Diagnostics tool to identify the source of the issue. To use Network Diagnostics, follow these steps

Automated troubleshooting

1 Click Start, and then click Help and Support.

2. Click the link to Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems, and then click Network Diagnostics in the list on the left.

3. When you click Scan your system, Network Diagnostics gathers configuration information and performs automated troubleshooting of the network connection.

4. When the process is completed, look for any items that are marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed.

You can either use that information to resolve the issue or you can provide the information to a network support professional for help. If you compare the tests that failed with the documentation in the Manual Troubleshooting section later in this article, you may be able to determine the source of the issue. To interpret the results for TCP/IP, expand the Network Adapters section of the results, and then expand the network adapter that failed the testing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

How to reset TCP/IP

Go to Start> Run and type in cmd and press Enter.

A screen similar to the one below will open.

Posted Image

There will be a blinking white cursor, type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then press Enter.

Reboot the computer.

Ah, another thing I regret to mention is that my system restore have not been enabled even prior before this incident. Trust me, if it was that simple, I wouldn't be here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users