Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building First Computer!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

I have everything except for the processor and OS. I have bought a book that will teach me how to build it. It seems fairly simple and the book has a lot of pictures so I'm happy. My question is what are things people forget to do or screw up when they first start I don't want this to blow up in my face or anything. I don't want to have to buy all the parts again.
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

The most common problem is being in a hurry to get it done. My biggest problem is the connections - inevitably, I don't connect something right.

Some other problems:
Not matching your components to each other (a P4 3.0 gHz processor won't do much good with only 64 mB of RAM). Windows XP doesn't run well at it's "minimum requirements"

Static electricity is a big problem also.

Not using the right drivers (start with brand name, certified drivers). Once the brand name drivers work - then you can experiment with the hi-speed drivers of your choice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

I have matched all my components(well atleast i hope so!). I bought a tool kit that came with an anti static wrist guard. I'm also planning on buying an anti static mat. I'm in no hurry to getting it done. I'll probably be paranoid about breaking something.

#4 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

lets here ur specs so far.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#5 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

Warnings:

Take your time, be gentle with the parts. Sometimes anger can contribute to you throwing it on the ground and saying your done.

Work on a solid surface, not hardware or anything, but something that wont scratch up your case.

Make sure you use motherboard mounts, completing the connection between your motherboard and metal case will fry it.

#6 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

ASUS LGA 775
eGeforce 6600 GT (128 MB)
1gb ddr2
Maxtor 100gb SATA hdd
DVD and DVD Burner I don't remember what brand or speed.
future...pentium D 3ghz
I think i'm missing something else but i can't remember. Its too early for me to remember.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

The antistatic wrist strap is a pain! BUT, suck it up and wear it anyway - I've lost too much to stray static discharges!

ASUS LGA 775 - What exact model (because of the other stuff you'll need)
eGeforce 6600 GT (128 MB) - Nice choice
1gb ddr2 - What make and timing (PC 3200, etc)
Maxtor 100gb SATA hdd - Nice choice, don't forget to read the instructions on how to install SATA drivers. May not be enough if you're into video or music downloads tho'.
DVD and DVD Burner I don't remember what brand or speed.
pentium D 3ghz

What about a case? Most cheap cases come with cheap power supplies - beware of this!

What will you use for a CPU cooler? Do you have thermal paste to go with it?

What operating system?

What about a modem or network card?

What about sound?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:25 AM

ASUS P5ND 2 SLI
AMPO(i think thats what it is called) and i belive it was pc 2700. I'm not sure though.
I did buy a CPU thermal paste but I haven't bought a CPU or a cooler. Doesn't that come with the cpu?
I will probably be going with the Windows XP Home.
I have a sound blaster live 24bit
Haven't bought the network card yet.

#9 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

sometimes cpu come with paste but sometimes they dont check b4 u buy it so u no if u need to buy some.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#10 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:12 AM

I already bought some paste. Just have a few more things to buy. I was looking at Newegg and they were selling Windows XP Home for 90 dollars. It said it was OEM; should I go for that?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Generally the NewEgg OEM stuff is good - just read the description carefully to ensure that it's not "hardware locked" (some OEM stuff is locked to specific hardware - like Dell). XP Home is a good OS, and if you're not heavily into networking it can easily be made to do everything that XP Pro does.

Just put my main PC back together yesterday and wore the "bleeping" anti-static wrist strap the whole time! Everything worked fine! I'm glad that I suffered through it with the wrist strap!

Didn't look up the mobo, but ensure that the video card will fit on the mobo (you'll probably be looking at a PCI-E video card since the mobo offers SLI)

You can get a network card real cheap if you don't insist upon the Gigabit versions. Gigabit is generally advertised as the 1000 in: 10/100/1000. Most NIC cards come as 10/100 - you can get 'em at Best Buy for about $15 US

PC2700 RAM is adequate for most applications - but if you're looking at overclocking, you'll probably end up upgrading it to PC3200 or higher.

You can buy CPU's in 2 "flavors" - Retail and OEM. Generally the Retail will come with a CPU cooler and fan - BUT, if you buy OEM, generally all you get is the CPU - so then you'll need to get a cooler and fan.

Sounds like you've got a good plan!

#12 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

I will be buying the CPU at retail price. I have to check my ram again. I looked at the receipt and it was higher than pc3200 i think it said DDR2 PC 4300 but when I looked at the RAM itself it said PC2700 and I'm not even sure if its DDR2. I may have to go back and return it and exchange it.

#13 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Since the OS is OEM will it come with a serial number?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

Not retail price - but retail packaging. You'll see either it, or OEM as you browse CPU's at NewEgg.

OEM XP will come with a serial number as long as it isn't hardware limited. Folks like NewEgg like to require a hardware purchase with it to conform to the agreement that they've got with Microsoft.

When I bought XP from them not too long ago, they included a power cable spliiter for my power supply in the order to satisfy this requirement.

As for the memory - as long as it's the right kind for your mobo (check the manual) it'll work just fine. But, memory is a very complicated subject - so if you need more advice on this I'll have to point you elsewhere.

#15 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Yeah I would appreciate it if you can help me out with the ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users