Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD need help with minidump

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rbico

rbico

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

I am getting BSOD and I can't figure out what is causing it.
I think my problems started about two months ago when I uninstalled my anti-virus program (avast) at the request of playon support, and while it was down I got some malware, a trojan I think. I have since cleaned it out and come up clean with malwarebytes, super antispyware, avast, and various rootkit sweepers. However after that incident, my system seems unstable. i am getting BSOD quite often - 1 or 2 day. i have also run a scan disk with windows and it says that all of the files are fine.

after doing some reading about BSOD and the minidump files, I wanted to update my BIOS as it is older. I cannot seem to do it because my USB thumb drive will not show up. It is formatted Fat32 and USB legacy support is on, so I don't know what I am doing wrong (or even if this is the cause). I don't have a floppy drive.

Also, now I am having problems with my boot-up. A few times the computer has been stuck at the post where is says "verifying DMI pool data........." This took me a while to figure out, but I succeeded in repairing the boot file with bootrec commands. I have had to do this on three occasions in the last week. Sometimes I can just reboot after a BSOD, sometimes I have to do the bootrec thing.

Anyhow, below are the two most recent minidumps. The 8/14 dump was the most common(hal.sys). Any help is appreciated. Please note that avast is turn off as of 8/15 and is not monitoring anything. Things seemed to be more stable, but then last night I got another BSOD.

On Tue 8/16/2011 1:05:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\081511-18751-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x2BAC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8AC0C487, 0xFFFFFFFF8C540764, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 8/14/2011 2:36:01 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010109-15631-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal+0xEFCD)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF8630901C, 0xFFFFFFFFB62A4000, 0x68000175)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .
Google query: hal.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users