Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe memory leak or virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aquadeath2

aquadeath2

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hello,

I recently noticed that the amount of memory being used by an svchost.exe process gradually increases while my computer is in use to the hundreds of thousands (I've seen it into the million range already). I think it's connected, but after a period of time (30ish minutes or so perhaps?) my internet connection just stops working. I've read about a memory leak related to this process but it seems like it could be a virus. Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated because I can only browse the internet for a limited amount of time before having to restart my computer.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

What browser are you using?

I use Firefox and have watched the memory usage continuously increase. Firefox denied that this is a memory leak, they state that it's the number of plugins that are causing this. I wiped my hdd and reinstalled the operating system and a fresh installation of Firefox without any plugins and still see the increase of memory use.

There is some information that you may wish to read.

firefox memory leak - Google Search

If you suspect that this may be an infection I would suggest posting a topic in the Am I Infected, What do I do? forum

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2011 - 09:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 aquadeath2

aquadeath2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I do use FireFox but it's the svchost.exe process that goes crazy, not firefox.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Firefox can cause the high usage in svchost. Watch Firefox in the Device Manager under Processes, when it starts to gain in memory use end Firefox and see what happens to the svchost usage. Svchost runs many services, so there obviously will be other processes contributing to this. I only mention Firefox because I've see the memory use climb as high as you've described. Once I closed Firefox the usage would go back to a more reasonable figure.

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 aquadeath2

aquadeath2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info; I read up on what you mentioned. However, I doubt in my case the two are related because I've seen the memory usage for svchost.exe skyrocket even if I don't even touch firefox.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

What services in the device manager processes are showing up at these times?

#7 aquadeath2

aquadeath2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hey sorry for not responding sooner. I'm not sure what you mean by "service in the device manager processes" because if it's what I'm thinking of, the device manager only includes hardware.

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

after a period of time (30ish minutes or so perhaps?) my internet connection just stops working.

Could you tell more about this?
Does after that period of time you couldn't connect to internet again forever (must restart computer to connect to internet) or it only a couple of second or minutes after that you could connect to internet again?

What services in the device manager processes are showing up at these times?

Do you mean Task Manager?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

Yes, Task Manager.

Sorry for the confusion.

#10 aquadeath2

aquadeath2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Sorry again for not responding sooner. I first noticed the issue when I was playing a game online and lost connection. Then I tried to browse to a site and couldn't, but upon restarting my computer, I appeared to have my connection back again. However, it was then I noticed the excessive usage of svchost.exe and how when I would lose connection it was using an absurd amount of resources. I received help in another thread and the issue is resolved. Thank you for your questions and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users