Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Phone Scam,

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

I received the following information from my Publishers Chief Editor. I can't imagine people falling for this, but they do. I Edited names and emails.

Cast

There is a new scam out there and if you believe the words over the phone, you are going to be replacing your system and/or granting access to your files and private info.

Tina received the call today and I have dealt with these jerks three times.

Someone will call and tell you your computer is sending messages saying it has a virus or is outdated or is no longer registered or something along that line. They will insist, but here’s the truth of the matter…

The guy I spoke to, told me that when my computer is turned off and then back on, it sends them a message. Funny, my computer is NEVER turned off. He told me to turn my computer off, count to 30 and then turn it on. I told him I did, but I wasn’t even in the room with my computer so I pretended to flip an imaginary switch. He swore he could tell my computer was off so he told me to turn it on. Again, I flipped the imaginary switch. Did you know he could tell me exactly what screen was on my computer while it was booting up? Strange, he never once mentioned the master log in screen that I have to enter a password in order to continue booting up. When I mentioned it, he said he told the computer to bypass it. Are you laughing? I was. LOL

Here’s the point, these nutjobs either want you to log on to a site or go somewhere on your computer and enter a code.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your computer—and yes, I did verify this with Microsoft—does NOT, I repeat, NOT send out any messages to anyone saying anything.

Please don’t fall for this scam.

Hugs

J/CEIC

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." Anton Chekhov

Edited by castoffpolite, 17 August 2011 - 01:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Anyone with common sense should immediately question how they got your phone number in the first place.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

There are a lot of people who don't know much about computers and trust everybody. These are the people who are being targeted.

#4 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

This scam is still going on......

I had a lady come into my work saying that someone from Microsoft called her to inform her that her PC is transmitting errors.

Well she fell for it. They had her install a program from AMMYY.COM (a log me in type remote access) and then a couple of other things.

I hooked it to my techs and they found nothing. I then did a search about this scam and that is where I found out about the AMMYY.com scam and looked into the files people talked about. Sure enough she had it on her PC. I was able to remove the AMMYY.COM program and (no thanks to my jobs TECHS) was able to get her pc back.

Thanks again BC for your knowledge. I need to tell my techs to be trained by BC to fix these issues cause they sure as H E Double Hockey Stick FAILED!!!!!
Posted Image

#5 Photoshop is a lie.

Photoshop is a lie.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Wow, that's crazy. People these days think they're soooo smart with computers when their not. T_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users