Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few problems with my annoying Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

I've posted numerous threads in the virus section, and I've had these problems all throughout the time that I've been infected and remedied. For that reason I feel it's probably not related to viruses or adware.

I was just playing Bejeweled 2 and after a couple minutes of choppy gameplay, I decided to just give up. Anything full screen is not a good idea. Virtual DJ, watching videos/movies, or playing games all usually end up freezing the computer. Sometimes it will happen only a minute or two after starting up whatever I'm doing, other times it will take awhile.

When it comes to things with a lot of graphics, like Bejeweled 2 and Audiosurf, they will always be choppy and respond slowly. Every now and then the browser I use, Google Chrome, will go not responding. Sometimes it will just pop out of it, but other times it will say that Shockwave has crashed. If the computer ever freezes, it always does the same thing. The busy light on the computer will stay on, and the computer will go on normally. Well, for awhile. Maybe 10 seconds after the light comes and stays on, nothing will be clickable. After maybe 20-30 seconds everything will come back to normal. Every now and then the fan will also whir loudly, which I can usually fix by ending something that isn't responding. Windows Media Player is one program that is almost sure to make this happen. It will look closed, but is still in the processes list. Once closed, it goes away. Of course this doesn't always happen, but every once and again it will. And it's not always Windows Media Player. Sometimes I don't see anything in the process list that should be making the computer work all that hard, so I don't know what it could be.

I'm quite confused as to what could be causing the problem. Any help would be fantastic! I think the weird thing is that it's so unpredictable. Nothing might happen for a couple of days, and then one day everything could be messed up. And for the record I have cleaned the fan and took a look at it, so I know the issue with the fan is not the fan in and of itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

Please tell us the model or at least the age of your pc? It sounds like you need more ram and a better Video card. Upgrade the computer hardware or buy a new pc with at least duo-core cpu and 4 gigs of ram, also you will need a good graphic's card to play these newer games. Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Whoops! I usually remember to do that. It must've slipped my mind. This is my info:

Dell Inspiron 531S
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHZ
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System: 32 Bit
Service Pack 2
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

And in case it's relevant, I just took my computer in to Radioshack because it wouldn't turn on. It ended up being that the RAM card was unseated. These problems were happening beforehand, but I figured I would mention it just in case.

#4 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

have you tried updating your plugins?

Shockwave and Flash from Adobe
Quicktime from Apple (required for Shockwave stability)
Java from SunMicro

it seems so basic, but it often gets lost in the shuffle

fwiw I can run Bejeweled just fine on a single core celeron with no graphics card so unless it's a driver issue or some kind of conflict then I doubt it's the card.

"Every now and then the fan will also whir loudly, which I can usually fix by ending something that isn't responding. Windows Media Player is one program that is almost sure to make this happen. It will look closed, but is still in the processes list."

bunch of crap in the background is never a good thing. WMP can be a pain, but you can configure it to actually close on exit. Make sure you update that, too...WinUpdate doesn't always get so you may have to manually check; for Vista you want WMP 11: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

#5 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check if there's updates. And yeah, I'm wondering if it's a driver issue as well. Is there any simple way to find out?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Uninstall the current video drivers...run the system with the default drivers installed by Vista...see if problems continue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users