Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pendrive memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

i am transfering some files from laptop(windows xp) to my netbook (ubuntu 11.04) and ive been deleting the files from the memory stick(8gb) now i tryed to transfer a 1gb file and it says not enough space i looked on properties and it says it has 7.1 gb on the stick i open it up and there nothing it even says on the ubuntu netbook contents:nothing

thats probably the amount of files ive transferred so far so whats going on? ive never used these memory sticks before also it says location:on the desktop if that means anything

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Empty the trash bin.

Edit: Is this on the ubuntu or windows side?

Edited by computerxpds, 16 August 2011 - 05:45 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Have you tried reformating it?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

where is the trash can. i deleted all the files and folders in the drive how do i format?

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

the trash can is in the bottum right corner on ubuntu.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

ok i have formatted problem solved i think i must have deleted trash can

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

next time, to gain that disk space back without formatting the disk then empty the trash bin on ubuntu, if you dont the files remain on the disk they are just hidden. If you cannot find the trash can then google it and see some of the articles there I would give you a link but there are many articles that can/will tell you were it could be. :)

Edited by computerxpds, 16 August 2011 - 06:12 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Chances are you need to right click on the panel/add to panel, should be able to put your wastebasket back then.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

I also run Ubuntu on my netbook. When I delete a file from my flashdrive using the netbook, Ubuntu makes a "trashcan" on the flashdrive. This is a hidden directory, but you can see it by opening the flashdrive and typing a "Ctrl-h" combination -- this reveals hidden items in Linux. Once you can see the trashcan you can empty it or delete -- but it will come back the next time you delete a file on the flashdrive.

Alternatively, you can delete files while your flashdrive is on the XP computer -- Windows uses a different technique to hide files and the Trashcan will be visible.

Or, if deleting from Ubuntu and you are SURE you want to delete a file, use a "Shift-Del" combination to immediately and permanently delete an item without the safety net of the trashcan. (Please use caution -- if you change your mind there is NO recovery from this!)

Edited by Capn Easy, 17 August 2011 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users