Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install game through CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 norc

norc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

All right, so I recently bought a new computer (it was refurbished)

I've done a lot of tweaking on it already, I installed a new video card and put in a new power supply unit. I am also dualbooting into both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04. On my windows 7 boot, I installed oblivion. Fully installed it on the first try, then after a small issue concerning mods, I had to re-install. It reinstalled fine, but then I realized that I had installed it overtop all the files from the mods (in C:/.../oblivon). So I had to reinstall again. No big deal I though. Well! Now it is giving me a ton of problems.

During the install it gives me the error 0x80070017 and says it can't install. I looked up the error on google and it says that it's data corruption. It happens every time! I've rebooted, uninstalled / reinstalled other games, triple checked that there was nothing in C:/oblivion, everything I can think of. What's going on!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Ok this situation just got a bit more extreme. One of the first things I did after setting up my computer is I made recovery discs. So I tried reinstalling windows just now. I opened up the Acer recovery thing, put in the disk, allowed it to restart my computer. Well, now it says

Error: no such partition.
Underneath it says grub rescue> with a blinking underscore and I can type into it. Kinda like a console / terminal

I restarted, tried booting from the disc, same result. I tried booting from the hard drive, same thing. What on earth do I do now???

#3 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Ok, so I think this is an error that came from partitioning my disk and since it was through ubuntu. Apparently im supposed to put in my windows 7 installation disk and go from there. My computer didn't come with one.#$$**!!!!!!-%::2

#4 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Ok, sorry for posting these updates like this, im on my phone.

Ok, found a manufacturer's method of reinstalling windows, alt-F10. Wiping this partition clean, well see what happens next

#5 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

All right, the Acer recovery thing didn't help one bit. it just kept booting into DOS (or at least that's what I think it was). I wiped my whole hard drive by installing linux. The plan was to then boot into the recovery partition, but of course that is wiped out. Question, if I have my Windows 7 product key on the side of my computer still, can I get a CD sent out to me? I'm leaving for college in 3 or 4 days but if I can get it out to here somehow I should be ok.

#6 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

If you can borrow a W7 disk that is the same version that was installed on your computer, you can use that disk and use the key on the sticker on the side of your computer.

Otherwise you can download the .iso for W7 here get the version that matches your product key.

Then burn the .iso file to a DVD at 4x speed with Imgburn.

#7 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Wow, this is fantastic news! Thank you so much for that link! I am going to write it down and save it with all my other important computer papers (warranties, manuals, product-keys, etc). This will be really great to have on hand, I thought I would have to contact the manufacturer who would probably tell me to use the recovery disc, and I'd be on the phone for 2 hours with someone from India.

Well, now that this is solved, do you (or anyone else) know what was going on with my game?? This is a brand new computer, it shouldn't be telling me I have data corruption. Unless somehow it's the disc, but how often do brand new computer games just stop working??

#8 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

This won't help at this point, but at the first sign of your problem, I would try doing a system restore to an earlier date.

The software for your game should have a user forum to help with all kinds of problems.

When you install the game next time, right click on the .exe setup file and click "run as administrator".

Your error 0x80070017 shows up in Google as a problem installing Vista and W7, but can happen with any programs. Probably won't happen next time. :)

#9 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

Err, well it did.

This time a new error though.

Feature transfer error

Feature: Default Feature
Component: NewComponent1
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

This is on a brand new, freshly installed, did absolutely nothing to it, virgin windows 7 (64bit) on a new computer I got yesterday. Should I return the game? Is the CD drive screwed up? :\

EDIT: Rebooted. Got this error again!

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80070017
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1194)
PAPP:Oblivion
PVENDOR:Bethesda Softworks (http://www.Bethsoft.com)
PGUID:35CB6715-41F8-4F99-8881-6FC75BF054B0
$11.0.0.28844

Edited by norc, 16 August 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#10 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Interesting. Just as I was about to call up Bethesda to try and get a new copy, the game installs with no hiccups at all. Still a tad worried since it gave me these errors after wiping my HDD and installing a completely brand new version of Windows 7, but since I registered the game, I'll have 30 days to see if it pulls through. Now I'm wondering if I should still install Ubuntu and do the whole dual boot with partitioning thing. Might as well. Thank you so much to everyone for all your support! (Even if it was just a link to a website, that really saved me at the best possible time!)

Everything is working perfectly now.

Later! ;)

Edited by norc, 16 August 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#11 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

Unless you have a specific need for Ubuntu, why bother to install it?

Be sure to make a image or your drive before installing Ubuntu.

Just running the live Ubuntu disk is enough to keep me from installing it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users