Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QFX KeyScrambler question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

I use this free add-on with Firefox, and virtually every review I've read says it does an excellent job of protecting against keyloggers.

For instance, one review on Bright Hub says they installed the free Anti-Keylogger Tester by firewallleaktester.com and, with keyscrambler disabled, everything that was typed was captured by the tester, but with keyscrambler enabled, only the encrypted gibberish got through.

This Anti-keylogger tester is no longer available so I couldn't test it for myself so, instead, I installed a keylogger add-on by Lipo-Technologies. With Keyscrambler enabled everything I typed, in its original unencrypted state, was captured by the keylogger.

Does this mean keyscrambler is useless, or is it simply because this was a keylogger I installed myself which is intercepting my keystrokes at a different point than would be possible for a keylogger virus?

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Each keylogger can be written differently, some keyloggers start from the point ctrl+alt+del is pressed so people can capture username and passwords for active directory authentication. Some keyloggers are even made to capture screenshots if using the on screen windows keyboard.

#3 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

I now have no faith in keyscrambler. For instance, this guy tested it with several keyloggers (http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2011/05/24/keyscrambler-fights-keyloggers-by-encrypting-what-you-type-on-keyboard/) and keyscrambler (paid) passed with flying colours, yet the first keylogger I try (see my first post) and keyscrambler fails miserably.

Very disappointing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users