Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P2P and Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

Linux is said to be "Virus Proof" (not in its purest sense but at least when compared to Windows. On the other hand, P2P File Sharing is also said to be usual source of computer infections. Now, what would happen if you would put the two together? As it is in all of the Linux distros that I've seen - a built-in File Sharing Program like Transmission.

Kindly share your thoughts on these guys.

:warrior: :ph34r: :warrior:

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?

In a word, "no."

Any computer that is attached to a network is not immune to viruses. But, as with everything else, it's relative. If you compare the vulnerability of Linux to Windows, you can understand why so many say Linux is immune. But before we get into any myth busting, let's examine just what a computer virus is.

According to Wikipedia, a virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. That's a pretty broad description. Most people would consider a more specific definition. That same Wiki page continues on to say The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to include all types of malware, adware and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. Now we're talking. So with the two definitions combined, you could say a computer virus is any type of malicious code or software that can either infect a computer and replicate/distribute itself or a piece of malicious code or software that can be unwittingly distributed via numerous electronic means.

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for bringing up that clarification. :thumbup2:

That's why I've included quotation marks on "Virus Proof". As I've told on my original post, Linux is not 100% immune to virus. Though, as compared with Windows it is definitely less prone to such attacks. As what a computer engineer once told me, it is primarily because of the difference in structure of the two systems. In addition to that, Windows has the most users in the consumer level which is an attractive target for those who create virus.

Anyway, going back on the original question on my post, "Isn't it an issue if these File Sharing programs are included in a Linux Distribution?" I mean these programs also work on P2P concept. What do you guys think?
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

As is so often the case, I don't think that P2P itself is the problem so much as what most people use P2P for. P2P is a great way for sharing large quantities of data among a group of people -- typically this means illegal copies of movies, etc. And the people who are interested is sharing property that doesn't belong to them are also, typically, the kind of people who might also pass along some malware -- either through malicious intent or just carelessness.

Linux, however, does have its roots in the academic world, where large quantities of data -- research results, publications, etc. -- legitimately need to be be shared by research teams, work groups, etc. Also, Linux distros themselves often get passed out in tgorrents. So, including P2P software is traditional and, in these applications in a defined community of trusted users and machines, it probably doesn't pose much risk.

On the other hand, I've never used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users