Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Hard Drive, cant get to the net

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Crapgame

Crapgame

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

Greetings all...

Info:
Gatway 7330GZ Laptop
Pent 4 (3.2GHZ)
1/2 G Ram
XP Pro SP2

A few months ago the hard drive on this unit crashed, massive clicking…. Tried everything to recover, including freezing the HD, didn’t work. I installed a new drive this AM and used a recovery disk copied off the net for this model, no disks were made when the unit was purchased (not my unit, a friends). XP installed but I am unable to get online to do any additional updates.

In device manager I have yellow ! on the following:
Other Devices
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Due to the amount of yellow ! I seem to think that the recovery disk, although it appeared to work, was not the right one. I think if I can get to the net I will be able to update these drivers and XP to SP3.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Crapgame
Crapgame
7 or 11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

This link should be of use: Gateway Support
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

Thanks Forum Regular

Been there and even Live chatted with them, no help unless I want to pay or purchase the recovery disks (I don’t, which is why I downloaded the recovery CD, which didn’t work correctly, off of the net).

I have the Broadcom 440X driver off their site and installed it only to have XP give me an error 10 after installation of the driver. Maybe there is something else that has to take place first……

Thanks again
Crapgame
7 or 11

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

<<...used a recovery disk copied off the net for this model...>>

Please post the link for this disk.

Louis

#5 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thanks again Forum Regular

Link not available, downloaded it some time ago (too many other projects going on during this process and can’t remember where i got it.

Like I said earlier it seemed to work but it is obvious it didn’t have the correct drivers. On another note, since the downloaded driver from the gateway site didn’t work it maybe an updated driver (SP3? Maybe)…..
Crapgame
7 or 11

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Well...it occurs to me that a nubmer of downloads...which are not authorized by respective developer/manufacturer...may contain malware which users inflict on themselves.

I guess that did not occur to you, though.

Louis

#7 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Louis:

Yes, I am aware that threats are out there and I have over the years assisted many other people in the removal of Spyware, Malware and Viruses. This particular CD \ Recovery media was scanned prior to its use, although that scan may not have found some super hidden malware \ spyware \ virus and since this is essentially a new install it was my plan to install and run the various Anti Virus \ Malware & Spyware removal tools once I was able to connect to the net.
Crapgame
7 or 11

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Here is a link to your drivers.
Install the chipset first.

I didnt think that any software vendor made recovery disks available for download.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

Eyesee:

Thanks for your reply. I have installed the Chipset as instructed. Next, attempted to install the Broadcom 440X Ethernet Controller. After installation of the driver I receive the following:

There was a problem installing this hardware: Broadcom 440X 10/100 Integrated Controller

This device can not start. (Code10).

The troubleshooter advice is to uninstall and reinstall your device….. Been there done that a few times.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help…..
Crapgame
7 or 11

#10 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Eyesee:

Ok, here is the update…… I am on line now. The driver on the Gateway (7330GZ) site does not work. I found this forum (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55269) where someone had the same issues……. If you install the driver from Gateway 6000 series it will work.

On another note, I still need to get the wireless and other drivers installed, I tried updating the drivers to no avail…….. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help…..
Crapgame
7 or 11

#11 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Greetings All.....

Well I thought it best to open the bottom of laptop to identify the card because the drivers listed in the Gateway site would not work. Wireless card is: Broadcom, PN: BCM94318MPG. I located and installed the driver from here: http://www.wireless-driver.com/broad...y-ver51009142/

Problem solved, thanks again for all the assistance.....
Crapgame
7 or 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users