Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spybot and uniblue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I found the link on here for spybot and clicked on it, I was given a choice of several sites to download it from. When I downloaded it it showed up as uniblue. It ran a quick scan and then prompted me to purchase the software in order to complete the removal of all the registry errors.

Did I download spybot?

I remember using spybot about a year ago and it was different.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

You did not download spybot.

If you want to download spybot click here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Spybot-Search-Destroy/1043809773/1

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hello, this is the link we officially offer for SpyBot
Not to knock crytodan's,but as you said you got the link here and our link will not send you to uniblue.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

That said you would be better off using •Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware .

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Uniblue is a registry tool we do recommend. Remove it.

Now another word is many times when you download an item ,especially if it is free you need to watch for insyall Extras...You may need to uncheck a box before downloading,

Edited by boopme, 15 August 2011 - 09:02 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

You always have to be careful using advertising links to download anything no matter where you are. Clicking the link may redirect to another downloading site which uses more and sometimes confusing advertising. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Sometimes looking at the name of the setup file before saving it to your hard drive, will give a clue to what you are actually downloading so you can cancel out of it. The safest practice is to use the vendor's home site but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which contains advertisements that can be confusing.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hello, this is the link we officially offer for SpyBot
Not to knock crytodan's,but as you said you got the link here and our link will not send you to uniblue.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

That said you would be better off using •Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware .

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Uniblue is a registry tool we do recommend. Remove it.

Now another word is many times when you download an item ,especially if it is free you need to watch for insyall Extras...You may need to uncheck a box before downloading,

So the malewarebytes is the better way to go versus spybot? thanks !!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

So the malewarebytes is the better way to go versus spybot?

IMO. Yes.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs.

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

I second what quietman7 said. :) I'd also recommend Hostsman to block malicious and unwanted sites/advertisements. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users