Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dhat

dhat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

My Gateway with 32 bit vista on startup gives me the Gateway sceen then just goes black screen with white flashing curser.If theres a cure would like to be walked through slowly please Im new at DIY computer repair.Thanx

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2011 - 09:22 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Enter BIOS and make sure that your hard drive is detected.

To enter BIOS, hit the F1 or F2 key when you start the computer.

The Hard Drive information should be listed on the first screen. If you can not find it or have any other questions, post back.

#3 dhat

dhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thank you for youre reply .The computer does give me the phoenix bios setup utility and shows a hard disk wdc wd2500bevt-(s1) does that help?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

Do you have a Vista install disk?

Black screen with white blinking cursor...typically indicates an MBR/booting problem.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-mbr-xp-vista/

Louis

#5 dhat

dhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:13 AM

I have a gateway recovery disk but it will not load.

#6 dhat

dhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

Can anyone help out there or should I just round file it.

#7 KSOD Fighter

KSOD Fighter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

My Gateway with 32 bit vista on startup gives me the Gateway sceen then just goes black screen with white flashing curser.If theres a cure would like to be walked through slowly please Im new at DIY computer repair.Thanx

Hello dhat,
I am not a tech. Have very little computer knowledge, BUT, I have experienced this Black Screen of Death with blinking curser MANY, Many times.
For me, it always appeared after Windows Update KB915597 installed. {Microsoft says this update is NOT the cause of this problem. I disagree }.
I believe KB915597 creates an error in Windows Defender. Then on Start-up, Windows Defender "Sticks" at the Black Screen.
This update cannot be removed. "Hiding" the update does no good. Disabling Windows Updates (not recommended) does no good because
any update Windows considers vital will still force-install and KB-915597 is one of them.
Restoring your system to an earlier time only post-pones this problem, the update will re-install, and the Black Screen problem will return.

Here is what worked for me:
I completely disabled Windows Defender.
I found instructions for doing this at the following link: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-remove-and-uninstall-windows-defender-in-vista/.
After disabling Defender, Black Screen never returned.
I use a free anti-virus program instead of Defender (Avast). {This is not an endorsement of Avast, just telling you what I use}.

I hope this works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users