Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Cell Phones Be Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 moonfang

moonfang

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:45 AM

Can cell phones be hacked? I have a cell phone and my service is with Cingular which used sim cards for it's service. I had $23 in internet charges on my phone for the month of December that I did not make. Cingular tells me that my sim card is unique to my phone and that it cannot be hacked. These calls were made everyday in December at all hours of the day from 3am in the morning to times that I am at work with my phone in my purse locked in a locker. So my question is how can this happen? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

Oops! I guess that person you talked to is a newbie. Sorry about the attempt at humor. Here is a link. Just google "cellula telephone cloning".

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellphonefraud.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=cellular+ph...phonefraud.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 moonfang

moonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

After reading through some of these sites that you suggested, I believe that you are correct. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

There almost is no need to hack. For a fee you can retrieve just about anything you've done on a cell. Don't ask me how this is legal but it exists. It is rather unerving.

http://www.locatecell.com/

Edited by boopme, 17 January 2006 - 08:15 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

After reading through some of these sites that you suggested, I believe that you are correct. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Keep a close eye on your usage. The Cell companies are good about going after the perps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 thenoose

thenoose

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:37 AM

maybe you forgot to lock your keypad and somehow managed to get on the internet? It's happened to me before :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

You should look into password enabling,to see if that stops it. remember Paris Hilton? Here's a story

Millions of cell phone users are at risk of having someone listen to their voicemail or steal their contact phone numbers and other private information, according to a report issued this weekend by an industry consulting firm.

Representatives from Sprint, Cingular, and T-Mobile confirmed the basic premise of the attack, which is possible because those services enable consumers to turn off the password-checking function.

Cell phone hacking gained prominence last month when reports surfaced that pop star Paris Hilton's T-mobile voicemail and phone book

The link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7046776/

Edited by boopme, 18 January 2006 - 12:10 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

I wonder if it was a camera phone if you could her pics off of it?? Maybe Girly Magasine Picture :thumbsup:.

#9 moonfang

moonfang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

After reading through all these posts....I finally had Cingular lock my phone access to the internet and have not had any usage at all but I cannot download anything so that sucks. Cingular said that it was my fault that my phone was being used especially since my phone is a flip phone and is not in use 24/7. Any more suggestions??????

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Well you can get a pay per use rate. Careful tho all the downloads add up. Some have recurring and many have add on fees(internet time). Also downloads such as Answer tones (not ringtones are only good for 365 days and must be repurchased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users