Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

I found this guide on how to defragment a hard drive not with a program but physically disassembling it and defragmenting it here is a image if the guide http://i.imgur.com/mWqGw.jpg My question is wouldn't doing this destry the hard drive or is this actually possible? My thought would be if you did this to a hard drive it would never work again. what do you think of this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

I prefer the sledgehammer method of defragmenting a hard drive personally.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sledgehammer, is too much like work. I prefer a small bore projectile.

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

I personally enjoy taking the top cover off and hooking them up to my old PSU that can be switched on and off and using a screw driver to make grooves and such in the platters. Note: don't do that to a driver that is older than around 2002 because the platters will shatter... The newer ones are different and shouldnt shatter. Or I will just take the driver to my big drill press and take a nice big bit and drill it full of holes. :) Although I like animals way of doing it lol.

Also Tip: Don't do this unless you are experienced with the inner workings of a hard drive and the dangers of doing this!! You could be seriously injured by doing any of the methods described in this topic including but not limited to my post. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

Edited by computerxpds, 15 August 2011 - 07:35 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

What ever method one uses to defrag, don't forget to do it in the presence of an industrial grade magnet.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#6 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

I found this guide on how to defragment a hard drive not with a program but physically disassembling it and defragmenting it here is a image if the guide http://i.imgur.com/mWqGw.jpg My question is wouldn't doing this destry the hard drive or is this actually possible? My thought would be if you did this to a hard drive it would never work again. what do you think of this?

Yeah, that procedure would destroy the disk, so you really can't say it would defragment it ... this is more of a method to "re-frag" the disk as it turns it into a bunch of useless fragments!

For disks that still work and you want to keep, I'd recommend traditional defrag solutions. The methods discussed here would be an appropriate "final" or "farewell" re-frag of a disk that has let you down for the last time.... they do sound like fun though!

My favorite would be dropping it off of a very tall building (skyscraper even) onto a concrete surface and really re-fragmenting it!

Or would that be hyper-fragmenting it?

Edited by Bill R TechSpec, 16 August 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

I prefer a small bore projectile.

I'm kind of partial to big bore, myself. :)

Posted Image
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Now that is awesome! :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

leave it to our admin team to try and one up each other. Id hate to see what the grinler uses.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Id hate to see what the grinler uses.

Grinler when he defrags:

Posted Image :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

I was right, that is scary. lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

Id hate to see what the grinler uses.

Grinler when he defrags:

Posted Image :P

Thats how I light a cigar.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

:hysterical: :hysterical:

This Thead is just too much, like "Star Wars". We even have the Robot Bots looking after us.

Ray,
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Those arent some of the BC servers hard drives you guys are destroying are they?
Grinler wont be pleased if they are.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users