Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying files to another drive, format 1st, then replace files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

hi... got a used dell inspiron 2400(dimension) for $65 off of craigslist. it has a wd drive (150-200gb?) and xp and it works.
my old computer is an hp pavilion, with a wd caviar 320gb hd with xp pro sp2. i want to use the larger drive on the dell as master.

what i was thinking, is that i can put the small drive as slave on the hp, copy my files to it, see if they work on the dell, then format the large drive, put it as master on the dell, and reinstall xp. then, slave the small drive to copy over the files again.

if there's a better way, please let me know. i'm using the large drive on hp pavilion until i can find a reliable way to transfer files.

btw, i would also like to know if there's a trick to get the copied files working smoothly with a fresh xp.

Edited by cogs10, 15 August 2011 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

If the goal is simply to use the larger drive as a boot drive on the other system...seems to me that simply deleting everything on the larger drive...then cloning the smaller drive to it...then replacing smaller with larger...accomplishes that.

Once convinced that the clone waas successful and boots, then I would delete everything on the smaller drive and re-partition it, using it for storage capacity.

There are various programs to do this sort of cloning, including EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm . As with any program...read the instructions for use before attempting to use.

Louis

#3 cogs10

cogs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

thanks... are you saying to clone the smaller to the larger after i've copied my files to the smaller?
yes, i want to use the larger as a boot drive on the dell.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

Cloning the partition/drive...to the other...results in a perfect copy of the contents.

There is no need to physically "move" the files if they are inlcluded in the cloning process.

Louis

#5 cogs10

cogs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

yes, i see how the smaller drive(1) can be copied/cloned to the larger(2). however, my personal files are on the larger drive(2).
so i wanted to save them somewhere, possibly to the smaller drive(1). then, i suppose i could clone them back to the formatted
larger drive(2). sounds convoluted, but i guess it'll work.

Edited by cogs10, 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users