Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2 Hub/ Card Reader

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:19 AM

a strange one this.

I have a 6 in 1 card reader (USB 2) which has been happily running off a USB 1 hub. (slow, but it works)

I recently bought a USB 2 hub. However, when I plug the card reader into the USB2 hub I get a "USB device not recognized" alert, and the hardware manager shows an "unknown device" error. I have used windows magnificent troubleshooter to no avail (honestly - its like throwing a drowning person both ends of a piece of rope)

At the moment I have both hubs plugged in, and the card reader is running quite happily off the USB 1 hub. It doesn't need drivers. When I unplug the card reader from the USN 1 hub and plug it into the USB2 hub I get the warnings. When I unplug from the USB 2 hub and replug it into the USB 1 hub I get the "this device can operate faster" blurb, and it shows the USB2 hub as being available...........

I know the USB 2 hub is working, as I have plugged flash drives into it. I would like not to have 2 USB hubs running and for the card reader to run at full spead (the odd 1/2 seconds are important!!)

Am I missing something really basic?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Since I don't know all of the specs I would check 1) Does the reader need a powered port\hub to function? 2) Is it possible the USB 1 is a powered hub and the USB 2 hub is not? Have you tried by passing both hubs and connection straight to the computer? Have you considered a 5 port (4 external\1 internal. USB addon PCI USB 2.0 card? $15 -+ on eBay.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:29 AM

1) Does the reader need a powered port\hub to function? 2) Is it possible the USB 1 is a powered hub and the USB 2 hub is not?

It's wierder than that: the USB 1 hub (which works with the reader) is unpowered.
The USB2 hub (which doesn't) is powered.

The USB hub works with everything except the reader. I wouldnt mind so much - but getting the "this device could function fast" (on the USB1 hub) warning pointing me to the USB2 hub which then doesnt actually recognise the reader does my head in.........

I dont actually care that much........ except it shouldn't be so. :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

Are all your Windows updates installed? There maybe a patch laying around out there. Have you checked the reader's web site for known issues?

#5 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

as ever - the reader is generic........... no makers mark etc. surely a card reader is just a card reader.....XP has USB support, so I shouldnt need drivers (thats the way I read it,,,,,,,,,am I wrong?)

Sp2 is installed, Im all up to date

It's just wierd........and frustrating. I'll manage to live with it, even though it does make no sense. Having bought a new hub Im not really excited about the thought of buying a new USB card..........

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

as ever - the reader is generic........... no makers mark etc. surely a card reader is just a card reader.....XP has USB support, so I shouldnt need drivers (thats the way I read it,,,,,,,,,am I wrong?)

No you are 100% right. With XP it should be plug 'n play.

Sp2 is installed, Im all up to date

That should do it.

It's just wierd........and frustrating. I'll manage to live with it, even though it does make no sense. Having bought a new hub Im not really excited about the thought of buying a new USB card..........

I know not a good choice. Just stating the obvious. Sorry.

#7 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

Still trying to get my head around this one. I'm peeved that it just doesnt make sense..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users