Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't transfer files over network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

about to do a major hardware upgrade on one of the win7 PCs in the house (will call it PC A), pretty much building a new computer so expecting to have to do a reinstall of the os like i did when upgrading my gaming pc (which will be PC B ). trying to backup important files on PC A by copying them over the network to PC B but am so far unsuccessful.

both computers are running 64bit win7 ultimate.
both can see each other and access each others shares fine.
just can't copy files over.

trying to copy the files from PC A to one of the slave drives on PC B
on both PCs: the drives are shared, network discovery is on, password protected sharing is off, file and printer sharing is on.
also tried going directly to the folder on PC B and setting the permissions so that 'everyone' had 'full control'

i don't see anything that would cause an issue. yet when i am on PC A trying to copy files to PC B it says that i need permission to copy the files.

anybody have any ideas?

if possible, i'd rather fix the problem so i could send them from PC A to PC B instead of having to copy everything to the public documents folder in PC A and using PC B to grab them.

Edited by zaroba, 15 August 2011 - 01:27 PM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

What is the file path for these files?

If they are in My Docs/Settings folders...you may have to specifically enable those folders to be shared between systems.

I found this out some time ago when sharing files between my XP computers...even though I have the entire drive and all contents marked as shared, Windows will not let me access those folders from the other system (I have two) unless I specifically share Docs/Settings, Desktop, etc. folders via the Sharing/Security tab from Explorer view.

Once done, it's no problem to access/copy/move from the other system.

All other files should be easily accessed, etc. if you have set the drive/partition up in shared status properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users