Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rare Video Display problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trinsic

trinsic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

I have a HP Pavilion DV5-1235dx. The laptop was dropped and the screen was damaged (white lines on the screen) so a replaced the screen and for awhile it worked but after while it would flicker on and off until one day the screen went completely white. I opened it backup again and tested the video connector using a external display adapter and it tested fine. So I thought maybe the video cabled failed. so I replaced that but it didnt fix the problem, still getting white screen. Eventually I found that there was a bent pin in the connector for the display on the motherboard. I straightened the pin (didnt break it) but im still getting a white screen.. I was wondering if anybody knew anything else it could be or if there is anything else I can do to fix it without replacing the motherboard since that is expensive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hi trinsic,

Are you still able to connect an external monitor to the VGA port and see video?

Have you checked the video cable connection on the back of the LCD itself?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 trinsic

trinsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

yes I connected the laptop to an external montior and I still see video from the display. I double and triple check the connection on the back of the screen.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2011 - 11:05 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi trinsic,

Most likely, if the lcd screen is white still and you've replaced the LCD cable, straightened the bent pin and you can still see video on the external port, it sounds like it's time for an LCD screen itself.

Most LCD's can be sourced for alot less than a motherboard. If you'd like some recommendations to sources I've used in the past I'd be more than happy to point you to a few.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 trinsic

trinsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

No I purchased a second screen after the screen went white the first time when I repaired it so I dont think that the screen is the problem.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2011 - 11:06 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote, please use Reply butron, rather than Quote button...to respond.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi trinsic,

You did try your original LCD cable on the new screen and the old screen?

Have you looked closely with a magnifying glass ( I know it's very small ) at the connector on the motherboard for anymore bent pins?

Can you see any "broken" pins?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users