Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel I7 2600 PCI support

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frank meenz

frank meenz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing an I7 2600 for the MCI board I have spec'd

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7325818&Sku=M452-6206

the board has 3 classic PCI slots which is needed for 2 Audio Cards and an Audio effects card.

The board is great, however in the description for the processor found here

http://ark.intel.com/products/52213

in the Expansion Options section, it says # of PCI Express Ports = 1.

Does this mean that I would only have support for only 1 PCI express port? I cant see this as being the situation, but I just need to understand what Im reading before I buy.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Edited by frank meenz, 15 August 2011 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Does this mean that I would only have support for only 1 PCI express port?

No, don't confuse a port with a slot. The PCIe port provides a certain number of data lanes, which the PCIe slots and other devices can access.

Scroll the CPU specification page down to the Block Diagram, where you'll see the i7-2600 CPU has an integrated PCIe port (which has 16 lanes), but the Platform Controller Hub (P67 on that board) also has a PCIe port, which in this case has 8 lanes. So altogether there are 24 lanes - the PCIe slots use 19 (1x16 slot, 3x1 slots) leaving 5 for the onboard devices.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 frank meenz

frank meenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

ahhh that makes sense.

many thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic