Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No OS being found after start up problems and repairs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:16 AM

Ok so last night and began to have problems starting up my comp. i have windows 7 64 bit. it would get to the "Starting Windows" screen with the little pulsing logo and then freeze there forever. after forcing a shutdown once or twice it began attempting repairs. it would run checkdisk and find corrupted file and delete them. this happened several times at boot up. often it would freeze after this and not let me enter repair screen. so i loaded up the win 7 disk and tried to repair it from the disk. lo and behold it is not finding an installed copy of win 7. does this mean my os is gone? corrupted? could my hard drive have failed? i dont think its the memory but i have not been able to see the memcheck results since i cant boot up. is there anything i can do or must i reinstall windows. i dont want to loose all my files but do i have any other option? please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

i really need some advice on this one. i found a thread somewhere that suggested a backdoor reinstall that won't delete my files but i havt found anything about what to do if the os is not sowing up on the list. is this something that has worked for anyone. btw i also read that this has happened when people try to boot with a flash drive plugged in. i dont have one in so back to something is messed up.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

I would run the chkdsk /r command...followed by running the appropriate correct hard drive diagnostic for the hard drive.

Louis

#4 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

is there a way to do that without booting up the os since i have no access to anything. it wont even boot in safe mode. it just hover there on the starting windows screen. even getting access to the repair screen is flakey at best. i am going to try reinstalling it as an upgrade which will supposedly not delete any file or documents. and it actually has run chkdsk a few time but i cant see the results since the comp never gets to somewhere i can view them.

#5 magic_ninja

magic_ninja

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

If I were you the first thing I would do is find out who the manufacturer of your hard disk is and download their integrity verification utility from their website, which will allow you to make a boot disc (in most situations) and verify the physical integrity of your hard drive. This kind of thing could be caused from many different things and you have not provided many specifics. While you are at it download an ubuntu live disc which will allow you to boot into the linux operating system and run from the disc (just like the manufacturer's utility) and from there you can access your hard drive and give us the output from the files you are trying to get.

Just so you know there is probably a better way to do this but this should get you started, as it is how I would proceed to figure out the issue.

NOTE: with the ubuntu boot disc you can probably also back up your files to an external hard drive or usb flash drive so IF you do have to reformat and reinstall your operating system you can save all your main stuff, such as music movies pictures documents and the like!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users