Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CDBurnerXP long load time + C&C Zero Hour odd pauses.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Screamager

Screamager

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

I've been suffering with this issue for ages but I just can't find any one else on the web that's got the exact same issue and ideas on how to fix it.

Also Google trying to be cleverer than it is doesn't help, it's interpreting "AVG" as "average" and "load time" as "install time" which are two very different things. It still insists on doing this when I use square brackets for exact match. Any way...

CDBurnerXP takes about a minute to load but it should be instant for such a small programme and such powerful hardware - headline specs are Asus M4A79T Deluxe with a Phenom II 965 - quad core 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM and Intel SSD as boot drive. I can give the full hardware specs if required but I think those are the pertinent ones. VLC also used to take about a minute to load, again should be instant. But after an update to VLC that problem went away. Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour (IMO probably tying with Red Alert 2 for best ever C&C game) will load fine but then when I start a game it will run fine for about 5 seconds then pause for about 1 second then fine again for 5 seconds and so on, makes it completely unplayable.

After some investigation a few months ago I have discovered that completely removing AVG Internet Security 2011 (disabling it makes no difference) makes the problem go away. Re-install it and the problem returns immediately.

It was a long time ago so I can't be sure but I'm pretty sure this problem didn't exist when I first started with Windows 7, I think it started after an AVG update. That was AVG10 IIRC but the problem remains with AVG 2011, I hoped the upgrade would fix the problem and as I'm a paid subscriber it was free to do. I have had the problem disappear after some other AVG updates (but not most of them) only to return upon next reboot.

I have contacted AVG support who were very helpful up to the point when they wanted remote access to my machine, oh no you don't! But no fix was forthcoming and they were (again IIRC) trying to blame the other software.

I've yet to find another AV/firewall solution that I like to use and that I trust the security of. Also I have about 18 months of my current paid for subscription left to run so I don't really want to ditch AVG. I really want to find a fix that allows all this software to run in harmony.

If there's any other info any one needs to help me with this please just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

If any one can suggest something I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Mike...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users