Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Windows 7 system on another smaller hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

I have a duplicate image of my windows 7 system. I want to move my windows 7 system off from my 2TB drive on to a smaller 500GB drive instead. I used an imaging program to duplicate the drive contents onto the 500GB drive. My question now is, is it safe to switch to my 500GB as my primary drive and boot up from it without affecting my Windows 7 activation status, or do I need to de-activate it first on the 2TB drive then re-activate on the 500GB drive?

Thanks
"I saw 3 Dusters like this one, at the station. Inside the dusters were 3 men. Inside the men were 3 bullets"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

That should not be an issue at all.

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

The activation is pretty much tied to the motherboard so as long as you stick with the same motherboard you will be OK.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:04 AM

Thank you guys for your quick and re-assuring answers :)
"I saw 3 Dusters like this one, at the station. Inside the dusters were 3 men. Inside the men were 3 bullets"

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

The activation is pretty much tied to the motherboard so as long as you stick with the same motherboard you will be OK.

That's not true, but for the purposes of this thread it doesn't really matter.

#6 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

That's not true, but for the purposes of this thread it doesn't really matter.

Well for knowledge sake, what is the activation tied up to? I'm guessing its a MAC address, I thought it might be the Hard Drive's hence this thread but perhaps its the BIOS then?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

When you install Windows one of the files it creates contains a list of all of the hardware on the system. If you make what Microsoft considers "major hardware changes" (change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware at the same time), then Windows will request reactivation. The primary purpose of this is to prevent you from taking the hd from one system and using it in another.

#8 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Ah that sounds very fair. Thank you for that answer.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

You're welcome

#10 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

When you install Windows one of the files it creates contains a list of all of the hardware on the system. If you make what Microsoft considers "major hardware changes" (change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware at the same time), then Windows will request reactivation. The primary purpose of this is to prevent you from taking the hd from one system and using it in another.

If you change the motherboard it WILL trigger re-activation. It does not require changing 2 or 3 pieces of hardware although that would do it.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

If you change the motherboard it WILL trigger re-activation. It does not require changing 2 or 3 pieces of hardware although that would do it.

In many (but not ALL) cases that is true - but that does not mean the OS is "tied to the motherboard". It simply means you have made a significant hardware change. PLEASE stop being so argumentative. Thank you.

#12 TheyCallMeMrGlass

TheyCallMeMrGlass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

I think you're both right and the reason is I am guessing, the motherboard is a combination of several hardware devices (ie controllers, USB hub, CPU channels etc)

Thanks guys :)

Edited by TheyCallMeMrGlass, 15 August 2011 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users